Second Skin Audio

Does port area Matter?

I know you can have too little port area, less than 15in2 per 1ft3..... But often times I see ultra large ports in walled builds. I'm currently designing a 4th order for 2 18s and want to be able to get in through the loading wall to mount the subs. Ported side looks like it's gonna be 12ft3 and a port big enough to fit in is at least 300in2.

Just wondering if it would do anything other than help control excursion maybe from restricted air movement, if that's even the case. It just sounds logical to me.

Edited by Notoriousj76

i dont understand? you want to make your port big inorder to mount the subs easier?

2 DC 12" lvl 4s

1 DC 1.2k

XS Power S3400

big 3

Alll KNU wire

Pioneer HU

cheapo Legacy coaxes (just for now)

dc-audio-you-should-get-there-is-no-try-just-do-thumb-1.jpg

I know you can have too little port area, less than 15in2 per 1ft3..... But often times I see ultra large ports in walled builds. I'm currently designing a 4th order for 2 18s and want to be able to get in through the loading wall to mount the subs. Ported side looks like it's gonna be 12ft3 and a port big enough to fit in is at least 300in2.

Just wondering if it would do anything other than help control excursion maybe from restricted air movement, if that's even the case. It just sounds logical to me.

300in2 for a 12ft3 ported section is 25in2 per 1ft3 :shok:

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

300in2 for a 12ft3 ported section is 25in2 per 1ft3 :shok:

300 sqin is not too much port area for a pair of 18's.

When will people stop worrying about box size vs. port area????!!!!!

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Mhmm port area

(wall was ment for 2-18s)

DCFC0182.jpg

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

When will people stop worrying about box size vs. port area????!!!!!

I would really like to hear your thoughts about this if you have a min...pm me if you want :drinks:

Your port area should be large enough to keep the air speed low enough so you don't get turbulence or wind noise. Port area per cube is purely a rule of thumb.

It also effects the roll off and peak of the enclosure.

15cuft small port may have a +3db @40hz and F3@28hz

15cuft large port may have a +6db @40hz and F3@35hz

This is purely hypothetical but you get what I mean.

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew