the ultimate answer on solder vs crimp

i prefer to solder because i think it looks cleaner and when you solder, i like the idea of the wire and the lug being ONE with eachother rather then 2 things that are two and really close together. Really though, dropping the lug on the cement and hitting it with a hammer probably works just as good as anything else :D Just not pretty. The one benefit to soldering.....you can toss some heat on it and pull the wire back out. When desperate, having a recycled 1/0 lug is always a plus. I got a lot in my boneyard from previous builds and i have had to dip into them a few times :D A little heat, it comes right out, put a new one in, put the boot back over it, and its brand new!

thats exactly my point. everyone has their preference and neither one is a bad option, and I hope this thread helped show that. but thinking one is better than the other when you are doing it incorrectly wont get you anywhere. Thats why I gave tips and examples to help beginners figure it out. obviously i didnt have anything to do today lol.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what are the best crimp style lugs? the copper ones? right now i use standard car audio 1/0 lugs

Team NWSPL

baaudio Build Log

2001 GMC Sierra walkthrough

4 Mechman Elite 370s, 10 AGM batteries, 3 Crossfire XS v2 18s, Crossfire 8k

what are the best crimp style lugs? the copper ones? right now i use standard car audio 1/0 lugs

the "standard car audio lugs" are made out of different metals. i believe they could be tin, copper, or brass. I would just make sure you get copper or brass. if they dont say what its made out of, dont buy it. but just like the point of this thread, if you do it correctly, it wont make a lot of difference what lug you use.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

I use a propane torch to heat my solder joints. I trim the insulation back about 3/4 inch behind where it goes in the connector and slowly heat the lug with a low flame. then i slip the heat shrink tubing over it and and done. I have noticed though if i need the wire to make a quick turn my the lug/connector i have to bend it before i start or else its like bending steel. My father solders and crimps the reheats the solder.

I crimp mine with a huge plyers, then I use a propane torch and some big ass solder and solder the joint, its already solid just crimped, but that just makes sure it a very nice connection :P

2006 Mazda3 Hatchback Black 5 Spd Manual
Pioneer 4300DVD
2 Sundown SA-12 (34hz Tune, 3.22 cubes, 14.5 inches per cube, Triple Baffle)
Kicker 10ZX2500.1 (2845 RMS) Sub Amp
Kicker 11ZX650.4 (705 RMS) Mid Amp -- (3 Amps)
Kicker KQ3 Active Crossover
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer
Kicker 09QS60.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones)
Kicker 09QS65.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones) - (3 Sets)
2/0 Gauge Electron Beam Technologies (3 Runs, 2 +, 1 -)

1/0 Gauge KNU Kollasal Flex (1 Run for -)

300 Ft Kicker X-Series 16 Gauge Speaker Wire
XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)
Singer Externally Regulated Alternator (Being Built)

+ The Love for Car Audio and BASS <3

UBL Build Log <------- Click Here-------> Normal Build Log (For Comments)

I crimp mine with a huge plyers, then I use a propane torch and some big ass solder and solder the joint, its already solid just crimped, but that just makes sure it a very nice connection :P

thats good you use the solder too. if your really think the pliers are doing a good enough job, test it. put the ring in a vice and try to yank the wire out (before soldering). see if you are correct. the best way i have found to test strength is to try to destroy it.

• 1 month later...

Well done with good examples of each Skittles... thanks for the good reading. After seeing how effective that crimper is... I might pick one up and give it a try.

1999 Lincoln Town Car-(build underway)

- (2) SA15s, 4th order, DAT 2500.1, O2 mids n highs, 250a alt, HC 2400, Big 3....

1994 Pontiac T/A for speeding tickets.-

- Currently on jack stands, wanting to be a real race car

"Your local forecast, all the ladies in the metro area should expect to see 8 inches tonight" - The Todd

Decaf, on 01 November 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

i provide the ammo for destruction, the trigger finger is connected to the volume knob tho

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

Archived