How To: ELD Bypass for Honda Civic/Accord/Fit

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am doing a motor swap and wiring in a 2008 Honda Fit drivetrain in my car and the ELD is missing and not wanted, I will also have 1400watts of JL JX amps and an undetermined but upgraded battery with plenty of 1/0. The idea of a dash mounted high low (off?)  voltage control switch with a voltage gauge sounds perfect. Is it safe to just get rid of the whole circuit and send a control voltage to the ECU (E15 on the schematic)? If someone can come up with a wiring solution I will PP someone for a bit of their time 

This is my first post, I found this forum on google and joined for this post, I've been snooping though, car stereo has come a long way since my HK TC600

16683206_10212574559865487_1646333965_n.jpg

2002 Honda Insight (08 Fit drivetrain), JL JX1000/360

• 4 months later...

I have ran this end bypass for 2+ years now with no problems. Guys I need some input on your experience have you ever put an ampmeter on the alternator cable to see if it actually is outputting high output? I have a 2004 honda civic and cannot get past 80 amps (fully tilt on 2 digital designs m2bs strapped at 1 ohm) on my 240 mechman. Maybe Honda also has a limiting amperage the alternator can put out as well?

• 2 years later...

I just wish that I could bypass the ELD all together with a jumper or something to stay at high output all together . I did this on my 2004 civic lx and it works but could cause a future owner headaches if something fails, like say the relay, or a wire or anything really which wasn't stock. Canadian civics of this period dont have the stupid ELD bullshit 

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Lupe Rodriguez said:

I know this thread is old.. but Why cant i see the Photobucket pics?

lot of the time the host server that holds the pictures has deleted the link due to inactivity, max hits, etc. Can only hope the original creator has a backup so they can re-upload it

Instead of bypassing the ELD can i just run an XS battery or something of similarity and run a 4g positive lead to a high output alternator and the stock lead to the fuse box so i can run my amps directly from the XS battery with a fuse of course, without damaging the battery? I dont know if a mechman HO alternator that i plan on getting has a regulator on them.

i have 4g power and grounds and my voltage drops to the 10’s on a good bass note, im running the stock 75amp alt on a 98 civic.

1 hour ago, Lupe Rodriguez said:

Instead of bypassing the ELD can i just run an XS battery or something of similarity and run a 4g positive lead to a high output alternator and the stock lead to the fuse box so i can run my amps directly from the XS battery with a fuse of course, without damaging the battery? I dont know if a mechman HO alternator that i plan on getting has a regulator on them.

i have 4g power and grounds and my voltage drops to the 10’s on a good bass note, im running the stock 75amp alt on a 98 civic.

I use a mechman 240A on my Honda Civic 2008 (8th gen) and my voltage with and without the ELD is basically 14.2 on load, (before I just disconnected the ELD I use to vary between 12.8 [when the ELD went into low output] and 14.2 [when the ELD went into high output]  but never beyond that.)

If you want higher voltage I would talk to the guys at Singer or US alts to see if you can get anything externally regulated.

Not really sure what your saying as far as the battery goes but the ELD will restrict your voltage regardless if you run straight from the alternator (+) to a battery (+). If you go beyond 1k watts you should really look into 1/0 wire instead of 4ga 

42 minutes ago, Joshdashef said:

I use a mechman 240A on my Honda Civic 2008 (8th gen) and my voltage with and without the ELD is basically 14.2 on load, (before I just disconnected the ELD I use to vary between 12.8 [when the ELD went into low output] and 14.2 [when the ELD went into high output]  but never beyond that.)

If you want higher voltage I would talk to the guys at Singer or US alts to see if you can get anything externally regulated.

Not really sure what your saying as far as the battery goes but the ELD will restrict your voltage regardless if you run straight from the alternator (+) to a battery (+). If you go beyond 1k watts you should really look into 1/0 wire instead of 4ga 

You’re right because i forgot about that wiring harness that goes to the ELD. Well from what you say i guess i should be ok with just doing the HO alternator upgrade and going to 1/0awg. If i still get voltage drops beyond 2v after that ill just tap into the ELD with the relay and switch method.

Archived