Sonic Electronix

Kinetik voltage and intelicharger questions...

I have 2 Kinetik 3800s and 2 Kinetik 1800s. The 3800s are for the S-20, and I have had for almost 2 years and they have a dedicated shelf with wiring to the charger next to it. The 1800s are in my daily, and I pulled them out to do work under the truck.

I spoke with Kinetik today with a few questions regarding charging and floating. I have heard of a trillion SMD members using the intellicharger, but he didnt sound to fond of it. He told me to properly store and float the batteries they needed to be between 13.5 - 13.7, then after having a few hours to sit they should be resting between 12.9 - 13.1. He sounded like even having them stored for long periods of times those 1/10ths were important. Mine rest right around 12.9 - 13.0, but when my intellicharger goes into float it reaches 13.2 and no higher. He sounded very firm on even .1 or .2 differences, and it just got me wondering. Also he told me even charging my 2 3800s to keep them on a 2amp all the time while being maintained for long periods of time. I have read other users saying for large batteries to up the amperage and he said doing so overtime can shorten the batteries lifespan... I bought my intellicharger because I heard from lots of people that its a bad ass charger. I am posting to make 100% sure that I am doing a good job maintaining my batteries until its time for them to shine. This should develop more knowledge for other members too running these bats and chargers.

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

West Sacramento, California

Vehicle build log (1) 'Aayla' Numatik's one and only, bodydropped pasted the doors Chevy S-20 Ext-Ext cab. This project ended after a horrible horrible motorcycle accident. There are so many mods it would fill an entire page in my sig. Check it out if you have A LOT of time to kill. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/39785-numatiks-doored-s-20-bodydropped-on-doors-ext-ext-cab-10-subs-full-frame-build/?hl=%20numatik#39;s

Vehicle build log (2) 'Snow White' Daily/showstopper 2004 Chevy Silverado

Lays on 22s soon for 26s to run a beefy tire on 4s (4) 5gal tanks, (3)AZOB2 pumps, Slam digital stealth two speed valves with 16 solenoids, Slam SS bags all around, ART upper and lower arms, KP Components 6-link, KP Components watts link, Panther juice 6 22s, Spikes EVERYWHERE. 3,600WRMS total, (5) Kicker amps, (2) L7 15s under raised back seats, 15" screen molded to dash, 36 speakers total all Mb Quartz and Fosgate. Fiberglass console with removable face plates and arm rests, flushed speakers, lots of toggle switches, Playstation 2, rear view camera, Suede and leather seats, suede headliner, Dakota Digital air gauges, voltage gauges, and current draw gauges. (2) XS Power 4800 batteries, Whole truck is flat black and white and the

ENTIRE truck is fully pin striped by TJ Pagano here in Sacramento.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/123328-numatiks-bagged-2004-silverado/

smdsig1.png

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I am proof" - Numatik

... Really, no responses??

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

Vehicle build log (1) 'Aayla' Numatik's one and only, bodydropped pasted the doors Chevy S-20 Ext-Ext cab. This project ended after a horrible horrible motorcycle accident. There are so many mods it would fill an entire page in my sig. Check it out if you have A LOT of time to kill. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/39785-numatiks-doored-s-20-bodydropped-on-doors-ext-ext-cab-10-subs-full-frame-build/?hl=%20numatik#39;s

Lays on 22s soon for 26s to run a beefy tire on 4s (4) 5gal tanks, (3)AZOB2 pumps, Slam digital stealth two speed valves with 16 solenoids, Slam SS bags all around, ART upper and lower arms, KP Components 6-link, KP Components watts link, Panther juice 6 22s, Spikes EVERYWHERE. 3,600WRMS total, (5) Kicker amps, (2) L7 15s under raised back seats, 15" screen molded to dash, 36 speakers total all Mb Quartz and Fosgate. Fiberglass console with removable face plates and arm rests, flushed speakers, lots of toggle switches, Playstation 2, rear view camera, Suede and leather seats, suede headliner, Dakota Digital air gauges, voltage gauges, and current draw gauges. (2) XS Power 4800 batteries, Whole truck is flat black and white and the

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/123328-numatiks-bagged-2004-silverado/

smdsig1.png

I would think the intellicharger would be just fine. Maybe since you were inquiring about an opposing company's charger, he was trying to talk it down in hope that you would decide to buy one of theirs. I charge my kinetic hc2400 with a battery tender plus, have had it in parallel with a POS dying yellowtop, and also had it out for some time. Will still rest at 13.0/13.1.

• 2 weeks later...

I would think the intellicharger would be just fine. Maybe since you were inquiring about an opposing company's charger, he was trying to talk it down in hope that you would decide to buy one of theirs. I charge my kinetic hc2400 with a battery tender plus, have had it in parallel with a POS dying yellowtop, and also had it out for some time. Will still rest at 13.0/13.1.

I totally missed my notification that somebody posted on this thread, my bad bro. Anyways I thought that at first then he told me some different chargers to use that would be better. I bought my intelicharger because I thought it was a great product, and I did charge and float 4 kinetik 2400s a few years ago and then its lived connected to my 2 3800s. He said once there charged you can let them sit for months, he said float mode can be bad cause if the voltage drops even a cunt hair it will kick back charging again. He said doing this over and over can limit the life of the battery. Now I just charged them up and there sitting at 13.2, so I guess its ok. He wanted higher but if I have been using this on my batteries for years with no great problems I must be doing something right, right?

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

smdsig1.png

my intellicharger does just fine and so does the deltran battery tender jr..

ive stored shuriken batteries with the deltran charger .. hooked up for literally 2 months straight and floated at 13.6v. never had a issue either

My 3800s only float at like 13.2-4v and I used 2 different multimeters just to double check. I dont know what the fuck is up. It will float a wet cell at 13.6v and a yellow top around 13.4-5v. The kinetiks I can charge and float for a week then there voltage just sits, so theres nothing wrong with the battery. Also like I said I had 4 2400s on this thing and I dont recall ever having a problem, and thats more battery in bulk together then my 3800s. I dont know im puzzled. I dont want to just ship it to powermaster, pay shipping and have them say theres nothing wrong with it, or its a million dollars to fix it. I dont know!!!!! There sitting in my dedicated battery area and resting at 13.2 or so which is a decent resting voltage but it would be better for the battery around 13.6. Im just very puzzled with float on the charger

I'm sure that they just wanted you to buy one of their chargers, prolly would have tried to sell you the big ass ole' 80A unit that's damn expensive too.

Nah cause he told me of several other expensive chargers not any way affiliated with Kinetik. He didnt kno the specs of the intelicharger cause hes never used one.

Edited by numatik

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

smdsig1.png

As long as you are above resting voltage, the float number doesn't matter, unless it is to high it can cause shortened life. And long and low is way to go, so 2 amp mode is the best for any battery to maintain it for the best possible results. People say do 10 amp cuz it takes less time to charge up is the reasoning.

TEAM SOUNDQUBED -- TEAM SOUTH

TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain

3x Streetbeat World Record Holder

2017 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 
2016 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem/2nd Adv 4/2nd Xtreme 4
2015 MWSPL 2nd place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4
2014 USACI 2nd place Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db
2014 MWSPL 2nd place Xtreme 4 - 144.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db
2013 MWSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4
2011 USACI 2nd place MOD 1001-2k - 160.0 db
2011 MWSPL 4th place: Adv3 - 157.8 db, Kaos2 - 150s db, Xtreme4 - 140s db
2010 ARSPL 1st place 501-750 - 160.3 db Arkansas loudest

Best score to date 164.4 db - Termlab Outlaw

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db

MWSPL on Dash Legal door open (Music) - 162.5 db

Sealed on dash Legal (Music) - 161.1 db - Termlab

THE BLACK NASTY CURRENT BUILD & FAB

The Black Nasty (6) 15 Rebuild Log 2012

(4) 15 Walled Sierra Build Log

Evo X build log

Facebook page The Black Nasty

16163044_large.gif

Thanks for the responses guys. I am gonna just keep the charger next to my batteries and charge them every once in a while. Right now I have had them sitting for about 2-3 weeks and there at 13.3 each just sitting there. I think every once in a while its good to charge them more, let them float for a day or 2 then turn off the intelicharger. seems to be working good so far I was just wondering about that very small difference in voltage. Do we have a kinetik rep somewhere to chime in? I think you guys have pretty much said it all but im curious what they would say. The guy I did talk to was very knowledgeable about how batteries work etc, but not a damn thing about the intelicharger.. he showed me like 3 chargers that they used all above 100$, but all i wanted is to kno if mine was getting the job done. didnt really get that from him.ugh kinetik rep come in this thread please!!

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

smdsig1.png