Sundown Audio

Fuse's on the side of an AMP?

MrFree

I have a Coustic600se and it has 3 30amp fuse's. I tried googling and only found stuff about the inline fuse for amps. Could anyone help explain what they are for, and why I have a friend with a 1200watt sony explode and he only has an 80amp fuse and I have 90amps with 600watts.thanks

R.I.P...99'Dodge Grand Caravan

03 Lancer Oz

Big 3

HU-JVC KD-530

RCA's-rockerfosgate

41/2 inch Infinity mids

Subs-(12's)2 Orion xtr124

Amp-Coustic600se

battery-2 x stock, 1x Shuriken SK-BT20

Box-L-ported 3.562cubes@35Hz

miscellaneous-stinger volt-meter, gain nob, (coming soon bass pro,eq,line drive)

I dont have flex yet but damn I sound good,(coming soon....flex)

Check out my HHR install

Everything I install or build here:http://s1160.photobu...s/q485/MrBfree/

Also video's of my Car with the new box.http://www.youtube.c...lentGyge/videos

because the Fony only does 250W x 2 into 2 ohms, and yours does 300X2 at 4ohm? that answer your question?

Edited by strangeduck

because your amp is underrated and his is overrated.

i cant really tell you what they're for other than if there is a short in the power wire, the fuses should blow before harming the amp. or if you're over driving the amp like crazy, the fuses will blow because the amp is drawing more power than it was designed to pull. effective at saving an amp.

i cant really tell you what they're for other than if there is a short in the power wire, the fuses should blow before harming the amp. or if you're over driving the amp like crazy, the fuses will blow because the amp is drawing more power than it was designed to pull. effective at saving an amp.

This will also happen if something internal in the amp has gone afoul and is causing either major excessive current draw such as a dead short or fets stuck wide open that are about ready to blow. if you ever get an amp that starts popping all of the internal fuses, be very careful how many times you try and replace them. Once you may get lucky but usually come the 2nd or 3rd set you will let the magic smoke out of the amp and its either time for a repair if the amp is decent enough to try and repair or its time to throw it in the dumpster and look for a better amp as a replacement.

Daily Driver 1999 Kia Sephia

Kenwood DNX-893s
Audison Bit One Processor
2 Dat 4.125's
Sundown Audio SCV-6k
Hertz hsk-165xl's Mids running active                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Focal V30 Series Tweeters running active 
Sundown Sa-8 v1's in the doors
2 Sundown Zv5 12's 
Lots of Hushmat
Big 3+ and 3 + & 3- runs of Trystar 2/0
2 Dc Power Engineering 320 HP Alts

2017 Comp Vehicle
2006 Toyota 4 Runner
Kenwood Excelon DNX-893s                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Audison Bit One HD DSP
4 Sundown Sa 6.5v2 Component Sets 
Focal Access 6.5 2 ways
Sundown Audio Sax-50.4                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Sundown Audio Sax-100.4
2 Dc Power 370xp
Northstar agm27f
Northstar agm65
2 Northstar asmagm 480's
2 Dual 1 Sundown Nightshade v3 12's
2 Sundown SCV-7500's
All SMD Fuse Holders
Shitload Of Sundown 1/0

120 sq ft Second Skin Damp Pro

No, Its Not A Burp Truck!!!!

2016 Season 3rd place in Xtreme 1 At Finals

2016 Season 6th Place In Kaos 1 At Finals ( Blew The Subs Up In First Round Eliminations)

2 Kansas State Records Set In 2016 In Xtreme 1 And Kaos 1 In Midwest SPL

2-1.jpgsa.jpg
DCPowerLogoTransparent2.png

David said:

audio is a lifestyle, not a hobby

newls1
I cant read a tape to save my life... 1/2's are ok, but other marks confuse me
kingsuv
only men who cant read a tape, take it in the ass
kingsuv
you sir, get a pink hard hat on jobsites

His amp is probably not every efficient, let alone not even a true 1,200 watts. As a general idea some people use is 80a- about 800w, 4x30a- 1200w, ect. its not completely accurate. Some amps dont have external fuses, only on the bigger amps really. Just an example of an amp that isn't true power, a soundstorm ssl something or other, has 2200w rms at 2ohm, the damn thing has 2x 25a fuses. The amp turns out to be about a $100, now you tell me, thats a piece.

Edited by Sketchup

Setup

Ride: Toyota Corolla

Headunit: Alpine CDE-123

Subwoofers: Fi Q 18

Amplifiers: Memphis 16 Pri-1000

Speakers Front: JL Audio TR650-CSI Comp's

Speakers Back: JL Audio TR650-CSI Coax's

This will also happen if something internal in the amp has gone afoul and is causing either major excessive current draw such as a dead short or fets stuck wide open that are about ready to blow. if you ever get an amp that starts popping all of the internal fuses, be very careful how many times you try and replace them. Once you may get lucky but usually come the 2nd or 3rd set you will let the magic smoke out of the amp and its either time for a repair if the amp is decent enough to try and repair or its time to throw it in the dumpster and look for a better amp as a replacement.

"THE EXCESSIVE CURRENT DRAW FROM A DEAD SHORT" COULD THAT CAUSE VOICE COILS TO BURN?

So if I have 3 30 amp fuses does that mean that each channel gets a 30amp fuse and then there is a master third 30 amp fuse that is a back up, or does it mean I have 900 watts

Edit: Also I tried to find actual output but I couldnt get my clamp meter to work. I connected the dmm and ran a 45Hz tone at 3/4 HU volume and it read 82.3v coming out of my bridged terminal. Could anyone help me with this or tell me how to use a clamp meter. thanks

Edited by MrFree

R.I.P...99'Dodge Grand Caravan

03 Lancer Oz

Big 3

HU-JVC KD-530

RCA's-rockerfosgate

41/2 inch Infinity mids

Subs-(12's)2 Orion xtr124

Amp-Coustic600se

battery-2 x stock, 1x Shuriken SK-BT20

Box-L-ported 3.562cubes@35Hz

miscellaneous-stinger volt-meter, gain nob, (coming soon bass pro,eq,line drive)

I dont have flex yet but damn I sound good,(coming soon....flex)

Check out my HHR install

Everything I install or build here:http://s1160.photobu...s/q485/MrBfree/

Also video's of my Car with the new box.http://www.youtube.c...lentGyge/videos

So if I have 3 30 amp fuses does that mean that each channel gets a 30amp fuse and then there is a master third 30 amp fuse that is a back up, or does it mean I have 900 watts

no. all 3 fuses are used together. very very rarely (if at all) will just one fuse blow. its either none of them or all of them.

no, ive had that same amp, great amp, mitek who makes mtx audio also makes coustic, that amp needs atleast 4guage and try not to run it lower than 2ohm stereo, they tend to get hot

the 3 30amp fuses just helps your circuit board from burning up due to over powering your amp and what knot

i had a mtx 500d that i wired to i think .5ohm or maby lower than that n i blew one of the "internal" fuses, replaced it and wala

for that amp ied try to run a inline fuse of atleast 80amps if u got it wired to 2ohm stereo, cause when i had mine it kept blowing my 60amp inline fuse due to amp trying to put out more power than its getting

coustic makes some good amps, but why u have 3 30amp fuses is due to the requirements of the amp, i guess u could say if u was to clip it enough to get it to put out more than rated power into a 12v signal to subs it will blow a fuse instead of amp, and also help with hooking up the amp backwards, ie pos to neg and neg to pos

here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp

here's a link to my other system my 90 geo prizm test car

heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit

redblob.gifbouncing%20blob.gif2yooj7m.pngmodel14.gif