Rf Capacitors?

That's why caps are used in all the SPL vehicles. Do caps work? Of course, they have a place and a purpose. It is using the product correctly. But the disdain for caps stems not from not knowing its proper function, but rather they are sold and advertised as a save all for systems merely so shops can make money at a ridiculous mark up. Thinking they are completely useless is balanced out by those who think they are the end all. There is fact a point where current and output exceed the point where capacitance is an effective option: be it cost effective, space effective, and current effective.

Sad thing, tried to advise a local member on his electrical system. Advised for his power output he would be better off ditching the cheap uber cool volt meter cap and he quotes this thread to me as proof his cap works and I was wrong to suggest otherwise.

Appreciate the words from more knowledgeable minds than my own. :drink40:

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's why caps are used in all the SPL vehicles. Do caps work? Of course, they have a place and a purpose. It is using the product correctly. But the disdain for caps stems not from not knowing its proper function, but rather they are sold and advertised as a save all for systems merely so shops can make money at a ridiculous mark up. Thinking they are completely useless is balanced out by those who think they are the end all. There is fact a point where current and output exceed the point where capacitance is an effective option: be it cost effective, space effective, and current effective.

Sad thing, tried to advise a local member on his electrical system. Advised for his power output he would be better off ditching the cheap uber cool volt meter cap and he quotes this thread to me as proof his cap works and I was wrong to suggest otherwise.

Very well written post sir.

I just don't want to invest 250-300 in a 40 farad cap if its useless. Well not useless but not worthe the investment.

if it were me id look at how close u are to winning and ur voltage thru the run. what score do u get in comps and what score do people running get as well? id be doubtful a single 40f cap is gonna get u 1db but idk

J. Jsig_253411.jpgMy CardomainFINISHED COBALT SS/SC DUAL ALTERNATOR PICS icon_nuts.gif

theres no such thing as too expensive when it comes to upgrades like that, because imo if you are gonna spend to upgrade then do it correctly rather then be a cheap ass ricer

if it were me id look at how close u are to winning and ur voltage thru the run. what score do u get in comps and what score do people running get as well? id be doubtful a single 40f cap is gonna get u 1db but idk

I'm not quite at the point to make those calls. LocallY I'm good, but in the division no lol. I'm waiting on this Incriminator audio give away to make any real decisions

i would be that local, and the cap i have is the rockford fosgate 10 farad hybrid cap with volt meter. it does keep me from dropping below 12 volts when i was droping to 10. i also have an interstate deep cycle battery my dad got me and my volts still drop down to the low 12s but climbs back to 14.6-14.8 with in a few minutes, extended time of use does require more time to get back to where it is needed. i didnt get a higher spl from it but i can keep my spl at its peak longer. caps and batteries are great but in the end a high output amp will drain them and a ho alt will be needed. i personaly will be adding a mechman alt and xs power battery. still gonna keep the cap because it wont hurt it by anymeans. bottom line it helps so why not use it even after i upgrade my alt?

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

i would be that local, and the cap i have is the rockford fosgate 10 farad hybrid cap with volt meter. it does keep me from dropping below 12 volts when i was droping to 10. i also have an interstate deep cycle battery my dad got me and my volts still drop down to the low 12s but climbs back to 14.6-14.8 with in a few minutes, extended time of use does require more time to get back to where it is needed. i didnt get a higher spl from it but i can keep my spl at its peak longer. caps and batteries are great but in the end a high output amp will drain them and a ho alt will be needed. i personaly will be adding a mechman alt and xs power battery. still gonna keep the cap because it wont hurt it by anymeans. bottom line it helps so why not use it even after i upgrade my alt?

Not you, although I will admit, it sure looked that way. I did not read your entire post, but I can assure you I am referring to a local who came into my shop, pulled up the post on his cell phone and he is not a member here.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

lol, ic... i know we had talked about this somewhere on the forum before.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

• 1 month later...

I think this will help. A friend of mine recently tested a "10 Farad Capacitor" . . . or so that is how it is marketed. The results? 0.59 Farad. But it does come in a cool box with a really slick digital volt meter.

And that folks is why caps have gotten a bad rap. And no, I'm not disclosing the brand - but let's just say that it's price definitely conjurs the saying, "If it's too good to be true, it probaly is." Kind of like comparing a Harbor Freight ratchet to a Snap-On on price alone and assuming they're both ratchets . . .

You get what you pay for.

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

• 2 months later...

This is a good thread. I recently re-installed my RF 10 farad capacitor which was sitting in the garage for about 5-6 months. Prior to that I bought it new and used it for 1 1/2. I am glad I re-installed it.

Thanks

• snafu pinned this topic
  • 1 year later...

Do you guys use any method to calculate what size capacitor you need? It must depend on the power draw of your audio system. Q (stored energy) = C (capacitance) * V (voltage). One amp is one coulomb (Q) per second, so I guess you could say you need C = average amp draw / average battery voltage.

A system drawing an average of 100 amps then would need 100/13.8=7.25 farads of capacitance. But we put a capacitor in to handle DYNAMIC current, didn't we? Else, what is the point...

So let's look at peak amp draw -> If you clamped your amp at 1800 W and it's 75% efficient at full load, then (1800/.75)/13.8 = 174 amps. Now you need 174/13.8=12.6 farads.

What do you think of this method? Legit or flawed?

Also, what method are you using to measure your caps?

Archived