Second Skin Audio

The Truth about the power of Solo X. Either Kicker is wrong or they tricked us?

Smurfboy

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i noticed the same when i bought my CVX's way back when. i saw on the website they were advertised 750 RMS each, then i look in the owners manual and i see they can only take 300rms in the "compact" enclosure, and 700 in the optimal. I was pretty pissed off

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

I agree that the subs are over priced but they have been in the game a long time to charge that much. But, with that said, they will get down and dirty. You just need to know how to build a good box to control the sub correctly. If you do it right you can run a lot more then rated to a sub. The reason they quit using peak power on everything, is for people that think I can run 1000 watts to a sub that has an RMS of 500. On top of that people also were running 500 watts to that same sub thinking well I can just turn my gain up get more out of it (still see this today). You will be able to put up some good numbers with the subs if you do it right. But, can get a lot better for the price. I do like the square shaped subs just because the use the whole face of the box. Other then that I guess go back to circle fit in with everyone else.

Chrysler 300 on 24" Menzari's

Alpine 9887 CD player

Sundown SAZ-1500, and 3-10" SA's wired to .667 ohms

My Current Build log

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/137773-burbarrys-chrysler-300-walled-off/

I think I do know here in aus. They seem to be more then double your prices and still sell, everyone here wants them, cose there considered middle range pricing for a top quality product

I assisted with an install of 6 l712" in 4cuft sealed on 5k and I must say it went dam well in that tiny area

I'm not a fan of square either but I've always ran kicker subs and amp, just for there durability and reliability, ive done setup that are pushing 12 years old and still going hard in a daily

Thanks for replies, guys. I was just wondering about that.

Sorry that some of you hate Kicker. I personal love Kicker (probably because of the fact that they're my first choice of system.) Even big boys (Michael Hughes, Steve Micks, Neil Barber and Alma Gates) used Kicker back then. I have nothing but high respect for them. :)

Wait, before you say something like "Ha, I knew it. They can't even take so much power!", check also on L7 series. On Kicker site, it says that 10"L7 is only 450wrms (huh?! :shok: ) and not 600wrms! Either Kicker got it wrong or they've been tricking people for years. I have a pair of S10"L7 powered by KX1,200.1 (birthsheet says ~1,500wrms) and I pumped 'em really hard without a single problem (see pictures below).

if you look it is both 450rms and 600rms

450wrms is for ported and 600wrms is sealed,

sorry to burst that bubble

and if you contact kicker direct (through there web site) they also recoment setting all there amp with an osteoscope,

But again, I'm sure it's all about installation at the end (or so it seems). Even Polocat, himself, stated that he knows someone that could put so much power into sub with the right power and box. If I'm not mistaken, I remember couple of years ago that someone from Sounddomain.com used S8"L7 and put it in S10"L7's box and it pounded really hard (or so they claimed). I don't know how he does that. Anyone know about this? I know it probably sound crazy to some of you but I do remember he said he did it and everyone was impressive at that time.

Couple of things to consider with the solo x subs and their power ratings. They had 2 ratings on them that had everything to do with tuning. They had rated the subs for 2500w @ 60hz and only 1500w below 60hz.

Having worked with them quite a bit in mario's car, he had no issues putting full power to them in a burp application while also choking down the port to a daily tune and still put a good amount of power to them.

A large amount of how well a sub ( any sub ) will take power has EVERYTHING to do with how a box is built and what the application is. You can take some of the best power handling subs and throw them in a poorly designed box and blow the shit out of them in no time at all.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Could be using cheaper parts now. Or just decided they had too many warranty claims and are cutting back on ratings for dumb customers.

this is the first thing that i thought of. too many noobs blowing their woofers, causing them to lose a lot of unnecessary money.

Last year I had a solo x 18. On 2k rms and it beat hard but now I have a aqhdc3 on about the same power and it will shit all over that solo x 18 with ease! That's all I got to say about them. Way over rated in my opinion. In the Same truck by the way an same set up. Not bashing kicker. If I ran across another I would run it.

Archived