Sonic Electronix

12v with a "regular" battery (car off)

14v with the car on, or 14v battery/ies

16v charging requirements for 14v batteries (actually thy like 16.5+v i believe

Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/152368-littlebuck1919s-feedback/#entry2177586

i think you'd stick your dick in a blender if it told you it was 40 wtih two kids your age. lol

6/18/82 - 4/17/12

R.I.P. to my sister Shana

What he said ^^

Your car's battery sits around 12.8v and charges around 14.4v and will drop back into the 12v range when under heavy load.

A 14v battery must be charged around 16v and if you haven't caught on yet, a 16v battery has to be charged at about 18v

Resting voltage is where the battery sits on its own and charging voltage is the voltage your car sees while the alternator is putting out power and the car is running.

To change up or down you need to 1)buy the new voltage battery and 2)buy an alternator to supply the correct charging voltage for that battery.

Keep in mind, your car's ECU cannot operate at a high voltage so anything (usually) higher than the low 15s will require a separate charging system from the car OR a step down to the ECU.

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

ok a normal stock step up with you car running should sit at around 14.4v's (this does not make it a 14v system)

a 14v system uses a battery that rests at around 14v's and charges around 16v. honestly if you really want a good answer pm or email xspower they will tell you just what you need and maybe explain it to you in terms anyone would understand

not trying to sound like a dick, just saying go to someone that deals with it all day to get the best answer. they deal with it all for a reason, they know what they are doing

Edited by LordArcane

I run 14v with no step downs also... but I do have a sterring sensor issue at 16.4v so I charge at 16.3 when driving and top off batterys weekly with xs intellicharger...most mid highs amps won't operate above 16v so check which ones do... if your new just stick with 12v a good alternator and some quality batterys

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

Like ray said a lot a of mids and high amps will cut out at 16v so that's definitely something to consider when making your choices learnt that one the hard way. But unlike ray I have 0 issues charging at higher voltages so far but not anticipating anything anymore it's been a few months.

you win some, you lose some