oh yea one more thing the reason you add lead to older engines is because the heads have non hardened valve seats and use it as a cushion

glad to see you made it to the forum.. i had a feeling you would chime in on this. there are some real knee slappers that happen in this sub forum.. so be prepared.

I wasn't trying to argue with you I wanted the real reasoning!

Not a bs answer and an insult I don't know anything :lol2:

Ur right I don't know everything about gas

Don't have to know everything bout gas to put together a engine or drive or relize that some cars do better with higher octane gas :P

SCSB

Santa Cruz Speaker Box

Build logs:

Daily Driver Lemon Marquis

2 american bass 750.1s

350.4 on 14 focal 6.5s

sq 945 on 4 hertz tweeters

Mystery subs peepwall.gif

http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

The Mustang 'dubbed' Shirley the project from bullet holes to badass

http://www.stevemead...cond-skin-time/

I wasn't trying to argue with you I wanted the real reasoning!

Not a bs answer and an insult I don't know anything :lol2:

Ur right I don't know everything about gas

Don't have to know everything bout gas to put together a engine or drive or relize that some cars do better with higher octane gas :P

My apologies then! in 88 when that truck was built there was basically the same 3 grades of gas we have today short of premium was 92,then Amoco bumped it to 93 right around 88-89. very few cars at that time were designed to use 91+ save a few sports cars.

keeping this as simple as i can!

fuel's energy is rated in BTU(British thermal unit) as octane increases the btu value in fuel goes down(think of it as less violent) engines use the thermal energy to move the piston transforming it to mechanical energy. all engines do this @ different efficiency but take any given engine and use the lowest octane fuel(highest btu/most violent fuel) that is possible without incurring detonation and it will create the most power. when you start advancing the timing in an engine to raise the efficiency(convert more thermal to mech) make more HP a fuel that is to violent and burns too fast will explode before the piston reaches top dead center causing engine damage.To combat this from happening you use a fuel with higher octane rating that burns slower and wont explode as fast allowing the piston to reach TDC before the bang. this becomes a back and fourth game when searching for peak output!

Hope that helps

glad to see you made it to the forum.. i had a feeling you would chime in on this. there are some real knee slappers that happen in this sub forum.. so be prepared.

that is why higher octane gas makes an engine feel smoother less violent combustion in the cylinder and a longer burn raising MPG

Thanks!

That's the answer I wanted!

what about pre1988 before the different octanes ie a 72 pantera, when that car came out there was no differences in octanes?

You put premuim in that car for the runing smooth idea and the less likelyhood detonattion for the higher compression motor?

SCSB

Santa Cruz Speaker Box

Build logs:

2 american bass 750.1s

350.4 on 14 focal 6.5s

starting in the early 70's the U.S. was using lower octane unleaded. the rest of the world didnt convert till the 90's ish. 1986 the U.S, banned leaded fuel for road use. 1975 U.S. started putting catalytic converters on nearly all cars (these are damaged by leaded fuel),funny you mention 72 1972 in particular Pantera lowered the compression in the 351 Ford engine they used to be compatible with the USA's lower octane fuel and emission standards

Octane number is the resistance to detonation. If the octane number is high

enough to prevent detonation, there is no need to use a higher octane gasoline since the engine will not make

any additional power.

The only time you need to run a higher octane in your truck, is if you are towing a heavy load. The high load will increase temperatures. But you only need to run it if you have pre-ignition. If you have pre-ignition under normal conditions, you have more issues.

Couldnt have said it better myself. You must have an engineering background. Higher octane is used in engines that have a higher compression ratio and if you run lower than needed you'll get engine knock.

No, I had a few turbo cars, You have to know how to make power with boost.

starting in the early 70's the U.S. was using lower octane unleaded. the rest of the world didnt convert till the 90's ish. 1986 the U.S, banned leaded fuel for road use. 1975 U.S. started putting catalytic converters on nearly all cars (these are damaged by leaded fuel),funny you mention 72 1972 in particular Pantera lowered the compression in the 351 Ford engine they used to be compatible with the USA's lower octane fuel and emission standards

knew this :) my first car was a 1975 Cadillac Eldo haha beast

interesting the pantera is far from the car it was in 1972 its original, but basically everything was replaced (some hardened steel bolts and a ton of engine parts) i think i might map the engine and build the twin to put into my mustang

thanks for the good info

so will all these cars it they would benefit from higher octane for the smoother burning

what do you put in you nice cars?!

SCSB

Santa Cruz Speaker Box

Build logs:

2 american bass 750.1s

350.4 on 14 focal 6.5s

lol almost everything i own is tuned to the ragged edge :) e85 is what i use in all my hot rods! 93 for my daily driver M3. the wifes cobalt gets a steady diet of 87 and gets 40mpg on the freeway

Archived