Where do I go from here?

I can get a good KINETIK HC800 for $50 right now. Should I scrap the cap and replace it with that temporarily until I can afford an alt?

EDIT: it sold before I could get it.

Optima Redtop Under Hood

Vmax CT800 Outback

Big6?(lol) 0/1 KnuKoncepts

2x 15" RF T1's in 7.7cuft @32hz

Audiopipe aqx3500.1d

Pioneer DEH-5000UB

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WTF.

Why are you guys telling him to add up fuse numbers? Fuse for the WIRE, not the circuit load.

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

Couple of things here.....

First, do you have a fuse on the wire from your alt to the + on the batt? if so, the fuse would need to be about the same rating as your alt ie 75-80 amp fuse for a 75 amp alt. if you dont have a fuse on this wire..... GET ONE!!!!]

Second, if youre trying to figure out how big a fuse you need on your power wire to the amps, the formula is Watts = Volts X Current so if your seeing 12 volts and you think you should be getting 3000 watts, your formula would look like this 3000 = 12 X current so you would need a 250 amp fuse.

Personally I wouldnt do this, I would take it as easy as possible on your current set up until you can get the bigger batts AND the bigger alt, I know thats not what you wanna hear, but Ive personally watched these audiopipes eat themselves alive at less than 12 volts. On the other hand Ive run one for well over a year goin full tilt pretty much daily and never had a problem out of it, but voltage was kept above 13.2, Many of my friends run these amps and they seem to do just fine if you can keep the voltage over 13.

Your alternator is the common problem right now, like others have said ditch the cap asap, but even if you upgraded to 4 XS d3100s in the back, on a 75 amp alt your gonna prematurely kill these batteries because you just cannot recharge them and listen to your system.

Couple of things here.....

First, do you have a fuse on the wire from your alt to the + on the batt? if so, the fuse would need to be about the same rating as your alt ie 75-80 amp fuse for a 75 amp alt. if you dont have a fuse on this wire..... GET ONE!!!!]

Second, if youre trying to figure out how big a fuse you need on your power wire to the amps, the formula is Watts = Volts X Current so if your seeing 12 volts and you think you should be getting 3000 watts, your formula would look like this 3000 = 12 X current so you would need a 250 amp fuse.

Personally I wouldnt do this, I would take it as easy as possible on your current set up until you can get the bigger batts AND the bigger alt, I know thats not what you wanna hear, but Ive personally watched these audiopipes eat themselves alive at less than 12 volts. On the other hand Ive run one for well over a year goin full tilt pretty much daily and never had a problem out of it, but voltage was kept above 13.2, Many of my friends run these amps and they seem to do just fine if you can keep the voltage over 13.

Your alternator is the common problem right now, like others have said ditch the cap asap, but even if you upgraded to 4 XS d3100s in the back, on a 75 amp alt your gonna prematurely kill these batteries because you just cannot recharge them and listen to your system.

Very informative. Thank you.

Optima Redtop Under Hood

Vmax CT800 Outback

Audiopipe aqx3500.1d

Pioneer DEH-5000UB

Yeah, good shit bigrob

and sorry, idk about that batt isolator justin

in a million, trillion, kabillion years,i would never play that song in my ride. I don't care if its clipped or not LOL. I feel like my nads got clipped after playing this for 15 seconds just to see what it was LOL.

No thanks bro. Not into it.

From what I've gathered if you don't run the same two batterys you need an isolator. I just want that confirmed or denied so I can make a purchase.

Optima Redtop Under Hood

Vmax CT800 Outback

Audiopipe aqx3500.1d

Pioneer DEH-5000UB

IIRC, you can run underrated fuses because a fuse doesn't blow as soon as you go over it's rating. It has to be WAY over like in the situation of shorting out. Depending on quality, a fuse can have greater amperage running across it and not blow, but over a period of time of being constantly over it will fatigue/blow.

Have a read through this. I found it informative.

http://www.bcae1.com/fuses.htm

Honda Accord SirT + Mad sounds = Awesomeness

VTEC go BRAAAAAPPPP :P

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141261-99-accord-sirt-sq-build/

Alright well i never done the big 3 so i see in my vision my truck on fire...

Today I came across a steal on Craigslist. I picked up two dual 4 ohm 15" t1's in a box with a power acoustik 2000 watt amp and 12v mini battery for stupid cheap.

I'll be selling my 12" t1's my ap15001d's and the power acoustik amp and upgrading to an Audiopipe aqx3500.1 and probably an alternator next month.

I'll be adding a battery in the rear AND the mini 12v battery. I'll post the model number on the mini 12v later I didn't really look at it too much.

Thanks again for all your guys input.

Optima Redtop Under Hood

Vmax CT800 Outback

Audiopipe aqx3500.1d

Pioneer DEH-5000UB

Archived