Second Skin Audio

aa mayhem box help

Brain i said that was to much because it seems to be leaning more towards spl purpose then musical considering i dont know the op's eperience level i figured him having some more cone control would be a better route and still give him plenty of port to through some air. You do some great work so please correct me if im wrong so i can learn

Johns.jpgSuburban Coming Soon

Two quick things to learn:

Port area is not related to box volume. It is related to air velocity through the port which comes from cone area x excursion and tuning frequency.

The idea of large port area is only for SPL is not correct. I think people have come to this conclusion based on large, short ports that are tuned to higher frequencies in SPL setups. In reality, ports are usually too small in car audio boxes due to the smaller sizes and the very long ports that would be required to get the desired tuning.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Two quick things to learn:

Port area is not related to box volume. It is related to air velocity through the port which comes from cone area x excursion and tuning frequency.

The idea of large port area is only for SPL is not correct. I think people have come to this conclusion based on large, short ports that are tuned to higher frequencies in SPL setups. In reality, ports are usually too small in car audio boxes due to the smaller sizes and the very long ports that would be required to get the desired tuning.

So do you think I should shrink the port size down some or leave it alone? I mean the mayhems move a ton of air and are bad ass subwoofers! Im more looking along the lines of doing some sweet hair tricks with it just tryin to get a box that sounds good for daily and that will move air for fun like hair tricks and what not

It does not have to be quite that big if you want to do around 160 sqin and drop the tuning to down around 34 Hz.

Edited by bkolfo4

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

It does not have to be quite that big if you want to do around 160 sqin and drop the tuning to down around 34 Hz.

The box I'm working on is going in a ford ranger in the exteded cab portion of the truck. I'm hoping to get some fun hair tricks with the two of them...you guys think that they would do that