Sonic Electronix

shitty spl meter or not loud music?

bought a cheap spl from sonicelectrionics http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_33985_Scosche-SPL1000F-SPLMETER.html .it peaks at 103db at half volume and wont get any higher sitting in the drivers seat. the closer to the front speakers i get the higher it goes up to 131+db it says but nothing higher when i take it closer to my sub. so is my meter just shitty and isnt picking up my music correctly? or am i really only hitting 103db at the drivers seat?

its a shit meter bro.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

but if it goes to 130db y does it hit 103 at my mid volume range and doesnt go up past 103 db with higher volume? again probably the shitting meter cooment. but any other reason? besides someone saying 103 db is my max.

but if it goes to 130db y does it hit 103 at my mid volume range and doesnt go up past 103 db with higher volume? again probably the shitting meter cooment. but any other reason? besides someone saying 103 db is my max.

the meter wasnt made for a car audio system. its just a rebadged meter. it was never intended to measure the frequencies that a subwoofer produces. so you bring it closer to your mids and you get a higher reading. with your subs, it just cant "hear" them. the term lab is made for low frequencies and cant pick up higher ones. i think it cuts off around 100hz for the TL.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

basically, its a shit meter. i wouldnt trust anything it says. the only thing i would use one for is to compare two noises. but the actual number, i wouldnt trust. distance and angle affect that meter too much.

but it probably is somewhere around 103db. a person yelling is about 80db.

Edited by skittlesRgood