Sonic Electronix

Hi, I recently purchased and installed my first sub system:

Kenwood 9105D Mono-Amp @ 1800w max / 900 rms(2ohm)

Dual Kenwood 12" w3013ps subs (bridged @ 2 ohms, 450rms per sub(400rms-1200w peak)) w/ 34-300 freq. response, recommended ported enclosure @ 2 cft tuned to 34hz

4 Gage power wires, 12 gage speaker wire, gold plated terminals etc

Got most of it on sale, cost about $350 for everything from sonic electronix and crutchfield.

The subs are in a Sound Ordnance dual 12 inch ported enclosure @ 1.63 cft per chamber, tuned at 33hz

The subs sound too high pitched of bass, it's LOUD and shakes most of the car, it just doesn't sound quite right, I believe it has to do with the enclosure size and bad box tuning but I wanted to make sure, that's why I'm asking here.

So my question is this, is the bass problem the size of the box, the tuning, or the high freq. response of the subs? or a mix of some of these.

Right now the subs don't play below 40hz very well which I'm sure is because of the tuning and size of the box. I'm more than willing to build a box for these but I'm not sure if it's worth it if the subs still wont touch anything below 34hz, I see a lot of people here with boxes tuned to 30hz or less and I'm wondering if I should tune that low even though my response is only 34hz. Should I just buy new subs? Most of my music doesn't hit lower than 34hz but still, I want some ground pouding bass every once in a while, can't really afford anything much bigger right now with my financial situation.

Any info would be helpful I'm just looking to soak up some data since I'm a beginner, a lot of the topics here are very helpful. Thanks!

cid__04210347.jpg

Edited by Dillan Turvold

• 3 weeks later...

It is the box. I sell those subs. And the 3 different models of boxes I carry do nothing for those subs. They are not hard hitting. But, do have a nice sound ya hear on the inside. And be careful. They don't like to be pushed close to there max watt ratings. But, my shop usually builds a box for those subs. Sounds a lot better then. The box the subs come in should of came with paper work of recommended box size and dimensions and all.

Current system (still building) 2 kicker 12" dcvr in factory kicker ported box, Rockford Fosgate 1200.1 Amp, Kenwood ddx-470 ddin radio, Rockford Fosgate 0 Gauge wiring, Rockford Fosgate punch 6X8 2 way speakers.

Put time and effort into designing a building a box and you will be much more satisfied with it. I personally haven't finished my box yet, but I have a few buddies that have done multiple builds and their system is amazing compared to pre-fab boxes

That's strange, I have mine in a sealed 1.25cuft enclosure and they do hit hard and play deep just fine, Well down to about 35hz which is fine because i listen to music not slowed/chopped/screwed stuff. Mine roll off above 65-70ish pretty quick. Maybe you should go 4th order?

That's strange, I have mine in a sealed 1.25cuft enclosure and they do hit hard and play deep just fine, Well down to about 35hz which is fine because i listen to music not slowed/chopped/screwed stuff. Mine roll off above 65-70ish pretty quick. Maybe you should go 4th order?

Yours are in a sealed box, his are in too small of a ported box, and the ports on his box also look laking in the size department....

sealed box and ported box= nowhere near similar broski, going to have different requirements for each.

1999 Lincoln Town Car-(build underway)

- (2) SA15s, 4th order, DAT 2500.1, O2 mids n highs, 250a alt, HC 2400, Big 3....

1994 Pontiac T/A for speeding tickets.-

- Currently on jack stands, wanting to be a real race car

"Your local forecast, all the ladies in the metro area should expect to see 8 inches tonight" - The Todd

Decaf, on 01 November 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

i provide the ammo for destruction, the trigger finger is connected to the volume knob tho

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

Yours are in a sealed box, his are in too small of a ported box, and the ports on his box also look laking in the size department....

sealed box and ported box= nowhere near similar broski, going to have different requirements for each.

I understand apples and oranges, just reaffirming the box is to blame. Since mine play well low and i know my box is built well, although not a popular style.

I understand apples and oranges, just reaffirming the box is to blame. Since mine play well low and i know my box is built well, although not a popular style.

ported shouldn't even be remotely compared to sealed, they are two completely different things. affirming that the ported box should get lower because your sealed one does is completely irrelevant.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/