Sonic Electronix

Birch is 35-40pounds lighter a sheet than mdf, so you will save on gas money lol.

I didn't think it was that much difference in weight.... I thought it was about 10 lbs lighter per sheet?

no mdf for a 3/4" 4x8ft sheet is 89lbs ]

birch of same thickness 4x8ft sheet is 60

i just built a birch box yesterday and a 4 cube box came out to like 40something lbs..(even used double layer in a couple places)..

mmy box is birch also..i can for SURE tell a weight differance drivng around ( and save a couple mpg)

as opposed to the icons i had in mdf box im saving literally 4mpg

BIRCH FTW!!!!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are also 3 grades of mdf this is what NO ONE RELIZES

I talked to my local wood wooker about this now that I buy so much wood, we became freinds( hell I go in there almost everyday)

but he went on to tell me that the 3 kinds are superlight, light, and heavy... most places carry the middle, like home depot, lowes etc

this stuff sucks and its heavy, and the good dense stuff costs even more and is even heavier, comparing a full sheet of heavy mdf its easilly 40 lbs heavier per sheet, plus cost only a few dollars less

Birtch splinters on the edges if you blade isn't sharp, but making slow mulitple circles with the rounter should work fine

Birch all the way! Much lighter much stronger, and much easier to work with imo, never an issue with predrilling cuz it blew or puffed the sides of the mdf out, this rarely happens with birch

SCSB

Santa Cruz Speaker Box

Build logs:

Daily Driver Lemon Marquis

2 american bass 750.1s

350.4 on 14 focal 6.5s

sq 945 on 4 hertz tweeters

Mystery subs peepwall.gif

http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

The Mustang 'dubbed' Shirley the project from bullet holes to badass

http://www.stevemead...cond-skin-time/

Seems most people are hung up on the "birch is light" quandary. What about Trupan Ultralight MDF? A 4" x 8"only weighs around 60lbs, but it costs about twice that of regular MDF. If price wasn't an object I wonder what would be best. True 13 ply Baltic Birch or Trupan Ultralight MDF. Both are pretty pricey tbh.

* Eclipse CD3200 with PAC SWI-CAN2 and SW-ECL2 Steering Wheel Controls Interface
* Pioneer D-Series Mids and Highs ( Fronts: TS-D1702C; Rears; TS-D1702R and Dash; TS-D1002R )
* Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 ( Mids and Highs Amp )
* DC 3.5k with Dual Inputs; Custom Plexiglass Backing ( Sub Amp )
* Rockford Fosgate Balanced Line Driver

* One FULLY LOADED ~ 10" DC m2 XL
* Custom Built Carpeted Ported Box Tuned to 32hz. Single Chamber With Volume of 1.44618³ ft ; 1.13216³ ft After Displacement
* Custom Built Carpeted Trunk Wall with Added Fans for Amplifier Cooling
* MechMan 240a High Output Alternator

* KnuKonceptz Krystal Kable RCA Cables
* Upgraded Electrical With 1/0 KnuKonceptz Kolossus Fleks Kable and 1/0 Sky High Car Audio Cable
* Five Exide Orbital ORB34M Marine 12 Volt Batteries
* PowerMaster XS D3100 12 Volt Battery

My 2008 Chrysler 300 Limited - SuperCharged 3.5L V6 - UBL

My Old 2005 Ford Taurus - CarDomain - Vehicle Was Sold

i got lucky with my last purchase they had a new cashier at home depot.. i had 4 sheets of birch and see only rang me up for 2 sheets..and i had glue and lquid nails like inbetween the sheets..she didnt even look

so i got 2 free sheets of birch a bottle of wood glue and 4 tubes of liquid nails

SCORE

13 ply Baltic Birch is heavy, alittle lighter than MDF but nothing to write home about.

If you are building a big box 5x5 sheets are better than 4x8 MDF. I would have had to buy around 9 sheets of MDF but only had to buy 5 sheets of Baltic Birch.

a 60x60 sheets make for some useable area. I still spent over 300 on my box though just in wood.

Since my cut sheet required 60x28in panels I could get 2 per sheet, only one if I used 4x8 MDF. A huge factor if you ask me.

2012 F250 Lariat 6.7, lifted on 22's and 35's

4 DSS Ethos 18's walled tuned low

2 Ampere Audio 7500.1's, Ampere 125.4

Rockford Pro Audio front stage

9 batteries, Mechman Elite 370 alt

Team DSS, Team Ampere Audio

2014 Meca Mod 3 TN State champ / 3rd place Mod 3 World Finals

32d73d87-e373-4a49-8914-d25decfa6dcc_zps

I use both and don't see any diff in performance... birch is just lighter but cost a little more and can be ugly if your saw ain't sharp enough to cut it good :)

My Build Log- T E A M S U N D O W N A U D I O -

2013 DbDrag WF SS1-2 - 5th Place 154.6db

2013 MECA Mod3 CA State Final Champ 153.4db