Sonic Electronix

WhenI first started using birch years ago I built two identical boxes, one from 13ply and one MDF. I used both with 12" Fi Q and DD 3512.....I couldn't tell a different between either. Neither could the two friends I had listen.

It's basically personal preference. IMO if MDF sounded the best it would be used across the board by all home audio/theater builders....it's not. Most use wood.

They don't use mdf because it soaks up moisture like a mofo. Even if it's laminated, the laminate will fall off eventually, plus it warps over time. Look at those entertainment centers and furniture that walmart sells.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WhenI first started using birch years ago I built two identical boxes, one from 13ply and one MDF. I used both with 12" Fi Q and DD 3512.....I couldn't tell a different between either. Neither could the two friends I had listen.

It's basically personal preference. IMO if MDF sounded the best it would be used across the board by all home audio/theater builders....it's not. Most use wood.

They don't use mdf because it soaks up moisture like a mofo. Even if it's laminated, the laminate will fall off eventually, plus it warps over time. Look at those entertainment centers and furniture that walmart sells.

Walmart uses cheap materials to keep prices low. I have never come across any high end speaker builders that use materials with humidity and home flooding in mind. They build with materials that will sound the best.

Like I said its personal preference.

• 5 weeks later...

im saving a assload in just gas savings..

little bit here n there adds up to about 15bux a tank (used to go about 300 on a tank..now i can get 320 330 or so)

How do those 20-30 miles add up to $15? Getting 5-7mpg?

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...

Archived