Sonic Electronix

Introduction:

I have purchased a 2012 Chevrolet Tahoe and would like to lay out a plan as to how I am going to upgrade it. I plan to make two main changes, those being: blacked out interior/exterior and a high quality audio system. This topic is going to focus around upgrading the audio aspect of the Tahoe. I wanted to gather advice from more experienced users in car audio before getting started so that I could create an effective and efficient plan as to how I am going to upgrade the audio in my new vehicle.

Vehicle Information:

The vehicle I am going to be working on is a brand new 2012 Chevrolet Tahoe LT with four wheel drive. As far as audio related components are concerned, this particular trim comes with the upgraded Bose nine speaker surround sound system. The stereo that comes with this Tahoe is quite average and is not of exceedingly high quality. The Tahoe also has plenty of space to install a subwoofer(s), so space is not going to be a problem.

Initial Plan:

My initial plan for the audio system in this vehicle is to keep the Bose nine speaker surround system (I know these may not be of the highest quality, but replacing all of those speakers would be quite expensive and I don't think I could justify the money spent), upgrade the stock stereo (looking for a stereo that is a bit more advanced), and install and subwoofer or two. While I do have a base plan established, I still have many questions as to how I should approach these upgrades. For those who are interested my budget is anywhere from $1000 - $2000 for just the new audio system.

Specifics:

Music is very important to me and because of the amount of time I put into listening to music and organizing it, I have become quite the audiophile. I listen to a lot of older music, mostly rock, metal, blues, folk, and other genres similar to those. One of my main question's is what audio equipment I should get if I am listening to music like I have listed above. This primarily relates to the subwoofer, as it seems to be the piece of hardware that will greatly effect the sound of my music. I heard that 10" subwoofers are best for rock music, so my plan was to buy two 10" subwoofers and put them in a sealed enclosure so that I would produce more of a accurate and clean bass sound. Please remember that I am aiming for sound quality, volume is also important, but I am much more focused on putting together a system that is based around sound quality. Is two 10" subwoofers too much bass for sound quality setups? Should I only go with one 10" subwoofer? I also need more information as to what brand subwoofer, subwoofer enclosure, and amplifer I should get. I heard JL Audio is quite good, but I am not that familiar with car audio so I need some more feedback. As far as upgrading the stereo, I just want one that functions well and will work with my iPod that has lossless audio files (FLAC and ALAC) loaded onto it. I believe that encompasses most of what I want to do to the Tahoe as far as the audio system in concerned. All help is appreciated and sorry if I make stupid mistakes, I am quite inexperienced when it comes to car audio.

Thanks For Reading

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you plan on installing yourself and building yourself you can probably still get new speakers in this setup. If not then everything you get for that $2000 will be sony xplodes because the shop will charge you 1k+

If you plan on installing yourself and building yourself you can probably still get new speakers in this setup. If not then everything you get for that $2000 will be sony xplodes because the shop will charge you 1k+

I will be installing all of the gear myself. There is no way I am wasting my hard earned money by letting a shop install the gear.

Well in that case...

I enjoyed my 1 10" on rock type music when i had it, it even worked great for rap too. But over time that 1 10" doesnt feel like a whole lot of bass anymore and i had to upgrade a couple times..

So i really dont have any advice :). There is a sound quality section on this site you might want to check that out.

Well in that case...

I enjoyed my 1 10" on rock type music when i had it, it even worked great for rap too. But over time that 1 10" doesnt feel like a whole lot of bass anymore and i had to upgrade a couple times..

So i really dont have any advice :). There is a sound quality section on this site you might want to check that out.

Thanks for the help, I think I will probably end up going with two 10" subwoofers. Do you recommend any brands?

2 18in DC FTW!

Hahaha, I probably would if I listed a lot of rap, but I heard 18" are slower to respond and therefore not optimal for rock. It still would be nice to have a couple 18" subwoofers though.

Haha you got the room though!

I would honestly try out some sa-8s in there.

AA- Havocs are good Sound quality subs... I hear JL audio is good for sound quality but expensive as eff.

Alright thanks, I will look into some of there subwoofers right now. As far as subwoofer enclosures, are custom made necessary or can I just buy a standard made enclosure?

Archived