Couple little updates....

My white baffle got all dirty and messed up with the fixes to the crack so it needed some paint touch-up (....a whole rattle-can worth of touch up):

449-bafflepaint1_zps90e33e2c.jpg

449-bafflepaint2_zpsc45b020e.jpg

449-bafflepaint3_zpsd90c1471.jpg

Spraying paint inside your car is a PITA....

The fumes and over-spray can really be annoying.

I just did it in small bursts and kept a vacuum running in the car to suck up the fumes so they weren't too overwhelming and so that very little of the airborne paint adhered to the rest of the interior.

Those little imperfections at the bottom of the baffle............don't worry about those lil guys, I have yet another plan for the front baffle. :ninja:

I don't have a tablesaw or room for one for that matter.

I've needed to make some precision cuts and rips here and there too. I had a leftover gift card for Lowes, so........another tool to the collection:

457RockwellBladerunner_zps15f9db8e.jpg

I didn't like my previous baffle fiberglass trim piece, so I decided to make another one:461fiberglassprep_zps84f8231f.jpg

Here you can see I made a wooden framework around the baffle so that I get a much cleaner way to transition from the fiberglass to the baffle.

1st layer of cloth laid down.

4621stfiberglasslayer_zps3807f671.jpg

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Remember this video:

All that trunk rattle was not making me happy.

Given how my trunk is designed, I can't really seal off the back of the trunk due to all the wires, actuator and etc.

Previous discussions (CJ18) got me thinking...

The only real way to do this is to port up through the rear deck rather than firing through it.

So..........

Prepped and ready:

452-reardeckprep_zps8564c62f.jpg

Here we go, no backing out now...

453reardeckcutting_zpsb4f645c1.jpg

Cut completed:

453reasrdeckcutting2_zps43ac755d.jpg

Metal removed:

454reardeckpiece_zps2380f093.jpg

BOOM, rear deck ported:

455reardeckhole2_zps2d01a0f7.jpg

455reardeckhole_zpsd2b9a981.jpg

Now for the other fun part, incorporating the extended port through the rear deck lid.

447-reardeck_zpsfc03968a.jpg

Notice the uneven surface across the lid...

A lil Great Stuff to fix that:

448-reardeckgreatstuff_zps0416bbc3.jpg

...and a lil more:

456decklidfoam_zps0cd13317.jpg

Then glue some felt on the straight edge so I can stretch it tight over the surface and glass it:

463decklidfelt_zps96276b53.jpg

I'm in so deep in this build that this car ain't ever goin' back to stock :good:

Stay tuned, some good updates should be coming...

2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

Great build man ...... I'm so glad I found this ...... I love it when people take there time to do it right so much more rewarding in the end ....you are a true craftsman WICKS!........ I have e46 sedan build I'll be starting soon I've been gathering thing's up for while and almost ready to start it .

WICKS....I have one question in your opinion since you've been working in the e46 trunk so much and really know what can be done in it..... would you say 2 15s could fit?

Wow you got some wicked balls for cutting into that deck. Was easy for me since I got a POS that I don't plan to resell, lol. Nice man. Looking great.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

hey! i've been keeping up with this post as much as I can.. i have a 08 550i and i've been trying to find a HO alternator for it, but it's difficult and everywhere i checked said i needed to get a universal one, and custom fab a bracket for it.. did you have to make a bracket too? or was yours a direct replacement?

2008 BMW 550i M Sport

Build coming soon!

2000 Volvo s40 1.9T
Pioneer DVD navigation head unit
O2 audio performance mid range speakers
2 Crescendo PWX-6 Pro Mid Range Speakers
2 Crescendo PWX-8 Pro Mid Range Speakers
4 Selenium ST200 Super Tweeters
Hifonics ZRX2000.4 Amplifier
2- 12 inch DC Audio Level 4 m2
Hifonics Brutus BXI-1610D Amplifier

2 KinetiK HC1400R- Secondary Batteries
Kinetik HC600- Secondary Battery
Knukonceptz 1/0 gauge big 3 upgrade

Some fuckin balls man, nice job thus far!!

:D Thanks!

I came to the realization that there is no way I'm returning this thing to stock so if I ever sell it, the new owner better like some bass! ;)

Great build man ...... I'm so glad I found this ...... I love it when people take there time to do it right so much more rewarding in the end ....you are a true craftsman WICKS!........ I have e46 sedan build I'll be starting soon I've been gathering thing's up for while and almost ready to start it .

WICKS....I have one question in your opinion since you've been working in the e46 trunk so much and really know what can be done in it..... would you say 2 15s could fit?

Thanks Dude, I appreciate the comments. I do take pride in my install, one of the reasons why its taken as long as it has.

Awesome, always great to see another E46 on the block. :good:

Ask away, I've been threw a LOT with this car so I do know some details that I wish I knew beforehand.

I actually originally wanted to do a pair of DC XL15's when this was in the planning stage but I couldn't fit them on the angled baffle setup that I came up with so I had to go with 12's.

Sure you probably could put a pair of 15's in the trunk but you'd have to set them back in the trunk mounted vertically.

I wanted mine at an angle and pressed up against the rear seat as far as possible to give me as much trunk room as possible.

You'd have to make a bigger box that was set further back in the trunk so as long as you were OK with using most of the trunk, then it'd work.

Good luck if you attempt it. Keep me posted, I'd love to see how it goes.

Wow you got some wicked balls for cutting into that deck. Was easy for me since I got a POS that I don't plan to resell, lol. Nice man. Looking great.

Thanks Man, I was pretty hesitant but its the only real solution to get the bass in the cabin and get rid of my trunk rattle.

Big props go to Cody (CJ18) for really sticking the idea in my head and then to Rogue's E46 build.

I checked out Rogue's rear deck fabrication and it really inspired me to jump into it.

Anybody that hasn't seen it should really check it out.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/133804-dd-9512-in-bmw-325i-rear-deck-build-lots-of-kerfs/

I'm diggin' your new wall setup in the works.... :good:

hey! i've been keeping up with this post as much as I can.. i have a 08 550i and i've been trying to find a HO alternator for it, but it's difficult and everywhere i checked said i needed to get a universal one, and custom fab a bracket for it.. did you have to make a bracket too? or was yours a direct replacement?

Thanks for dropping in again.

550i...nice!

I got mine from Mechman who told me it was a direct drop in, but it really wasn't.

I don't think I have a pic of it, but mine came with a big aluminum block spacer.

The bottom mounting bolt goes from my alternator to the spacer block and then another bolt from the spacer block to my engine block.

It works without needing any special mounting brackets or anything, I just wouldn't call it a drop in.

Have you checked Mechman? I see a lot of good things about Singer as well.

As for general updates, I'm sorry I'm a little behind. My fiberglass noobism is still in full effect.

I'm having to redo my fiberglass baffle trimpiece AGAIN... since I don't like how the second one was fitting.

I need to get two custom fiberglass pieces to overlap and mate together, look straight and clean and be very thin so that they fit under the top of the rear seat...

I think I finally have a good idea so this weekend should see some progress.

2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

SOTM BUILD:

My rear deck lid covered in felt.

464feltdecklid_zps8374397b.jpg

Sure enough the felt was way too think and didn't adhere to the deck lid very well either.

Wasn't going to work so I ripped it off and found some leftover red suede which was supposed to match my cinnamon interior. It didn't so I had it laying around.

It was thinner than the felt so I figured I'd try it out.

466suededecklid_zps55f49d46.jpg

With a bunch of resin:

466suedeglassed_zpsc5c40b75.jpg

NOPE, didn't like that either. Still wasn't adhering very well and the resin wasn't able to saturate the material either.

So off with that attempt:

467decksanded1_zpsb1b5e399.jpg

I also didn't like the smoothness of the great-stuff foam under the cloth either so I wanted to sand it down more.

467decksanded2_zps17812920.jpg

I remembered seeing Sky High Car Audio (Rabe) use "8-way" stretch fabric from Joann's on some tweeter pods. I went there and they had no idea what I was talking about, but I came out with this "performance stretch" fabric which must be pretty close.

468stretchfabric_zps70175d92.jpg

After test fitting it over the deck lid I still didn't like the fit. This new material was definitely thin enough, almost too thin and it highlighted every small bump which would have caused issues sanding because I'd end up going all the way through the fabric.

So after thinking about it some more, I just said screw it and went with the body filler to smooth out the surface.

469ragedecklid1_zps44b334e3.jpg

469ragedecklid2_zps57c28e64.jpg

469ragedecklid3_zps811a3174.jpg

The great stuff foam helped to reduce the amount of body filler that might have been needed and helped keep the weight down on the final piece although its still going to be a bit heavy after all is said and done.

Here is the second baffle fiberglass trim piece I made:

470fiberglasspanel2_zpsbae02b96.jpg

The reason I'm remaking it is this:

470fiberglasspaneledge_zpsd8430ed4.jpg

The lip that sits on the rear deck lid is jagged, rough and not clean enough for my liking.

I wanted to use a strip of aluminum along the deck lid to get a nice substantial clean edge BUT there's no way fiberglass cloth soaked in resin would stick to aluminum.

So I brainstormed a bit and came up with this:

473panelcloseuparrows_zps6d7100af.jpg

I used a 1/8" x 3/4" strip of aluminum and spray glued some fiberglass cloth around it as a base.

Then screwed it in place and now the fiberglass cloth and resin have something to "bite" into and adhere.

472fiberglasspanel3_zpse93e3064.jpg

471fiberglasspanel3_zpsf1b22184.jpg

AND here we go:

476fiberlgasspanel3_zps08fa4122.jpg

While my fiberglass was curing, I moved back to my trunk.

The little "pod" I made to hold my Punch200 highs amp was not working out as I intended.

I was a PAIN to squeeze in and out of the trunk due to the tight fit I have in this corner of the trunk.

It was also going to be a pain to cover with vinyl or some other finishing touch.....so I'm scrapping it.

474P200amppod_zps5cb4cbe0.jpg

Since I'm porting directly through the rear deck, I am no longer bothered with trying to seal the back of the trunk area off.

So I played around with some of the trim panels and came up with a cleaner solution for the fuse panel / amp mounting:

475P200newlocation_zps193d345e.jpg

Has a ways to go yet but I think it will give a much better overall look when complete.

Another nagging problem is how far the actuator extends back into the trunk.

It really interferes with my trim panels being smooth all the way across the trunk.

Did some searching online today and I think I found a solution. :ninja:

More to come!

:good:

2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

SOTM BUILD:

Archived