Oh ok! I See and as far as the corners, cut stress relief slits don't make the too big just make them enough to move the vinyl in a different direction, apply heat and rub it on with your fingers, that'll help do the hard areas... and for that hole do the same except dont cut any reliefs just apply heat and stretch it then once its to a certain point you trim the edges... but dont forget, dont apply to much heat at one time because it will deform and/or melt

Alright, sounds good.

I have a hard time visualizing that the vinyl can stretch that far, but I'll take your word for it and give err a shot.

Any recommendations for the vinyl itself?

Any specifics I should look for (type, store/online)?

I've looked around online and whatnot and haven't found any that I really like which probly explains some of my issues. :ughdunno:

Yea, it is crazy but you'll be surprised lol

This website has everything you could need for vinyl wrapping... any color (Literally), any size, any tool! http://www.metrorestyling.com/Default.asp

They sale the vinyl with bubble free technology so it's actually a lot easier to apply in comparison to older vinyl!

The 3m 1080 Series is what I usually use as its good on the pockets but also a good product overall! But all there products are top notch regardless of what brand you choose. This is quality film that they sale so dont worry about it being ebay quality Lol

Hmmm, we're thinking about different types of vinyl.

I don't mean the thin, smooth car wrapping vinyl. I was shooting for thick, black, textured vinyl that would match a car interior.

ohhhh!!! my bad... here's a site for car vinyl... im not too familiar with wrapping car vinyl, but from watching steves vids it almost appears to be the same... heat up the vinyl to stretch it and get wrinkles out... but heres a good vinyl website I found that I'm going to use! Been planning for a minute so I have a site for almost everthing lol but check this site out http://www.yourautotrim.com/

BOOM, there we go. Think I found what I need.

Thanks for the help Dude :good:

I am watching this thread as I recently got into vinyl and stitching. I have done a couple things now. I was getting excited about the info then flop. Lol. By brainstorming I have figured out some good techniques. Also thought about incorporating staples and fold overs. Hopefully I do a box for three 15's soon and post some pics. Btw, wicks, do you have an Instagram. I post a lot of stuff on there since it's much simpler.

Hey Tundra, thanks for watching the action.

I'm intrigued by vinyl stitching, but that's WAY over my head right now... LOL

I like what Meade did in his trunk with the stitching so when I get to my trunk, I may look into it some more.

Yeah Man, post up some pics, I'd love to see some good examples.

Nope, no Instragram at the moment, I'll have to check it out.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Haha! No problem bro.. Thats what we're here for.. to share knowledge and help each other out!!

2011 Nissan Altima aka Red Ruby

HEADUNIT: Pioneer AVH X2700BS

ELECTRICAL:

-Singer 230a

-Northstar gr34

-(2) Northstar SMS220 w/ Custom Terminals from 12V Metalworkz

-100% Welding Cable

FRONT STAGE:
-(2 Sets) Hertz HSK165

-Hertz HSK130

-Ampere Audio 125.4

SUB STAGE:

-(3) Sundown Audio SA REV2 12's

-Ampere Audio 3800.1 V2

MISC (NON AUDIO RELATED):

-Interior & Exterior Lights LED

-Gloss Black Roof (PAINTED)

-15% Front, 5% Rear Tint

-Roof Spoiler

-20" TSW Snettertons (20x8.5 front, 20x10 rear)

-Custom Projector Retrofit (FX-R 3.0, 6.5k HID, Morimoto Mini H1 (faux projector), Quad Starry Night Halos) ----- COMING SOON!!

-Aftermarket Fog Lights

-Custom Painted Engine Covers

My Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169869-woods-2011-altima-aka-red-ruby-new-video-more-updates/page-109

Retrofit Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/185787-hid-projector-retrofitting-diy-by-wood/#entry2765346

Been lurking this build for quite some time. Just gonna say I have great expectations from you and your major attention to detail on this build.

Thanks Man, I appreciate that. I'm trying my best to do all the work myself and make it look as good as I can.

:drinks:

2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

Been lurking this build for quite some time. Just gonna say I have great expectations from you and your major attention to detail on this build.

Thanks Man, I appreciate that. I'm trying my best to do all the work myself and make it look as good as I can.

Forgot are you going with the Pioneer P99RS Deck?

If you would like a nice very in-depth read I recommend this, and along with all of the sources he sites. Has improved my home audio tremendously.

http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Forgot are you going with the Pioneer P99RS Deck?

If you would like a nice very in-depth read I recommend this, and along with all of the sources he sites. Has improved my home audio tremendously.

http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/

Currently I have a Kenwood DNX-6990HD.

It's nice, but I'm not terribly attached to it.

I like the idea of a nice, small and thin tablet in the dash.

Navigating through my music list on the Kenwood is terrible.

I like the simplicity of an iPad/iPod interface. Plus the ever expanding selection of Apps.

HU's are getting better, but they tend to go obsolete and you have to buy an entire new HU for the latest features.

Besides I'd kind of like to incorporate a carputer as well. I have lots of ideas floating through my head and a normal aftermarket HU doesn't give me much flexibility. ;)

I'm also planning on getting a processor for time alignment (and other goodies).

Awesome! I'm always down to read some technical goodness :good:

2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

SOTM BUILD:

Go car-puter with a really nice sound-card and DAC.

Possibly run some high quality indoor audio equipment.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

I worked with alot of the 2013 Kenwood stuff and i can tell you theres a huge difference in it. Its not SLOW like the 2012 and prior items and the interface is very easy to use . I personally liked the 890 which is there second from top. Very responsive . The only thing i think it doesnt have that the 990 has is built in Wifi

When I read briefly on the new Kenwoods the 990 had the ability to connect to a wireless internet output, such as hot-spots from phones ect.

I worked with alot of the 2013 Kenwood stuff and i can tell you theres a huge difference in it. Its not SLOW like the 2012 and prior items and the interface is very easy to use . I personally liked the 890 which is there second from top. Very responsive . The only thing i think it doesnt have that the 990 has is built in Wifi

See........just when you think you have an opinion on something, boom, somebody informs you of something different.... :D

Guess I'll have to check that out.

Thanks for the tip!

Go car-puter with a really nice sound-card and DAC.

Possibly run some high quality indoor audio equipment.

Oh snap........HQ home equipment....now we're talkin' ;)

I'm in the process of redo-ing my RCA's with yet another set of custom cables.

Let me tell ya, an optical connection front to back instead of RCA's sounds DAMN good right now.

So many options to ponder..................so little time to implement them all. :puzzled:

2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

SOTM BUILD:

There is a GREAT thread on very high-end DAC converters that I wish I could find but I can't for the love of god find it anywhere on the internetz.

But hell yeah run some high-power, dynamic, tube/valve amps and call it.

But then there is sound dampening, that can make a system right there.

Edit: As "High-end DAC's" I mean from $800 to a $33k DAC that has a 5 grand optical drive, and the power supply has it's own four legs.

Archived