Need opinion on an alternator

I've done the math, and yes, i could potentially need 100a for the system, but the system isnt going to pull full amps 24/7. This isn't like i just said i want to upgrade and] cut corners, i just happen to need an alt now and am seeing whats available. So for now i'm going with another OEM 65a alt. and just save up for a better one cause $400 bucks aint happenin right now. But when i do upgrade i'll probably just go with a 270a so i have some overhead.

How about this math, $60 a pop every year for said oem alt you'll be replacing again and again vs. a $400 alt you'll buy once and probably never have to replace again cause it can do 100% duty cycle where as your oem can not.

Edited by Skullz

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

I've done the math, and yes, i could potentially need 100a for the system, but the system isnt going to pull full amps 24/7. This isn't like i just said i want to upgrade and] cut corners, i just happen to need an alt now and am seeing whats available. So for now i'm going with another OEM 65a alt. and just save up for a better one cause $400 bucks aint happenin right now. But when i do upgrade i'll probably just go with a 270a so i have some overhead.

Good plan

How about this math, $60 a pop every year for said oem alt you'll be replacing again and again vs. a $400 alt you'll buy once and probably never have to replace again cause it can do 100% duty cycle where as your oem can not.

It's not going to take a year to save up the 400, I get what you are saying, but even the el-cheapo comes with lifetime warranty, so no out of pocket for me if it dies. Once again, thanks for the advice, i do sincerely appreciate it. I will be forking out the dough for a good one, just not right now. Consider this a band-aid. We've all been there before and we've all done this type of thing. I suppose it's my fault for putting such a burden on my elecrical. Oh well, live and learn, right?

nothing to do with electrical should have the word "band-aid" in the sentence at all!

honestly PLEASE contact mike singer one more time and ask him if he has any OEM rebuilt alts with a little more @ idle

his 200a cant be 400 dollars when he price quoted me 385 for a 275a

if you have a really crazy expensive alt then maybe ill say buy a cheap brand?

but at the end of the day its your money... no one here is trying to send you in the wrong direction.

it took me about 2 weeks of emails,phone calls, and research before i bough a alternator from Mike Singer.... id double that for a "off brand" alt

if you want a real working band-aid have your Alternator rebuilt and save for the real deal... IMHO

@ whoever said it takes 6-8 weeks to get a alternator from "the big 3 alternator companies" is smoking rocks... BTW excessive amperage has inflated prices for one of the most common alternator cases in GM vehicles (AD244) (430 dollars for a 250a/140@idle) was what i was quoted from them

down rpping vanderbilt. 30 miles from victoria. i own the 3rd loudest setup here out of 3. but i did put together all 3 setups

^^ Cant wait to swalllow Ghost's babies

nothing to do with electrical should have the word "band-aid" in the sentence at all!

honestly PLEASE contact mike singer one more time and ask him if he has any OEM rebuilt alts with a little more @ idle

but at the end of the day its your money... no one here is trying to send you in the wrong direction.

it took me about 2 weeks of emails,phone calls, and research before i bough a alternator from Mike Singer.... id double that for a "off brand" alt

if you want a real working band-aid have your Alternator rebuilt and save for the real deal... IMHO

@ whoever said it takes 6-8 weeks to get a alternator from "the big 3 alternator companies" is smoking rocks... BTW excessive amperage has inflated prices for one of the most common alternator cases in GM vehicles (AD244) (430 dollars for a 250a/140@idle) was what i was quoted from them

Everyone in this thread is talking sense. It's always good to go big the first time so hopefully you don't have to worry about that part for a long time to come.

So now just run a 65a then get a 200a and be done with it.

On another note excessive is crazy for charging that much for a AD244 case alt as it works on so many vehicles and you can get a lot more amps out of it.

Edited by FeArZ

2009 Tahoe

2000bc Cresendo POWA Need 3500

2 Sundown Zv3 18 high rolled sexiness

dual alt bracket with Singer alt(coming soon)

Mtx Q(not sure if I'm going to use)

Knu wire and RCA's

Bass Head Bands

Oh and a few pairs of Jordan's

62c64997.jpg

Best thing to do is hit the car forums and see if they make the same style of alt in larger amperage sizes from other models cars that are direct fit.

I have a 95 dodge neon that has a 90a alt but the one from a 2001 pt cruiser is a direct drop in with the same plug and is 130a for roughly the same price.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

When you have the coin saved up for an actual High Output alternator, then come back to this thread, we'd be glad to recommend a lot more then, otherwise you make a moot point. U are on a budget, got kids, bills, etc. Get what you can to get you by for now, then go big later when you got the money.

1 x Fi Audio SP4 V2 12" D2 Fully Loaded

1 x Wolfram W-4500.1

2 x XS Power D5100's

250A Singer Alternator

2.67 Cubes @ 29hz

Everyone in this thread is talking sense. It's always good to go big the first time so hopefully you don't have to worry about that part for a long time to come.

So now just run a 65a then get a 200a and be done with it.

On another note excessive is crazy for charging that much for a AD244 case alt as it works on so many vehicles and you can get a lot more amps out of it.

yea i dont like to post quote from dealers or companies because they can vary (DC AUDIO does it a lot)

and may be different in price from who you talk to.. but after seeing their price on a VERY common alternator case i quickly deleted the email and did more research

honestly OP

id say just do what you can afford... anything will be better than a dying alternator

just dont want to see anyone piss away money on a glorified door stop

down rpping vanderbilt. 30 miles from victoria. i own the 3rd loudest setup here out of 3. but i did put together all 3 setups

^^ Cant wait to swalllow Ghost's babies