can any one suggest a good amp or reciever to run some E315 cerwin vegas

have a pair of cerwin vega e315 speakers but i am not sure what i should get to run them . pa amp ? high receiver like marrantz ? i am currently powering them with my yamaha surround amp which delivers an honest 85 watts rms per channel and it is clean enough that i haven't blown a fuse yet in my speakers .despite the e315's being rated for 400 watts each i do get some volume with this set up due to vegas being very efficient but at the same time that efficiency reveals amplifier's switching noise to . thanx in advance for any help to steer me onto a good amp to run my vegas

well of course i am on a budget and rather thin one so mcintosh is probably out of the question for now, but i figure there has to be something descent in between the high end and low end of amps suitable for home audio . i have looked at a lot of amps , thought about a crown amp even though it's probably meant for pa , looked at older yamaha's like the m-80 which has some impressive specs but also carries a big price tag for a 30 year old used amplifier .

i think i am willing to spend more than i have but that's another story :rofl2: but really 300-600 ?

• 2 weeks later...

Funny, I didn't see this before I replied in your other thread. Here are a few classic home amps that are considered to be great bang for the buck:

Proton AA1150 (pay no attention to the power ratings)

Proton D1200 (same - the most powerful amplifier offered in the 1980s . . . I don't care what anyone tells you . . . )

Carver M500t (more powerful than the AA1150, but not the D1200

Phase Linear 400 (caution - they didn't nickname them the "flame linears" for nothing . . . )

Adcom GFA-1 (A nice little 200 wpc amp that works great with 8 ohm loads ONLY)

I've owned 'em all before moving on to McIntosh power amps. Be prepared to have any of these amplifiers tested and possibly reconditioned before putting them to use.

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Funny, I didn't see this before I replied in your other thread. Here are a few classic home amps that are considered to be great bang for the buck:

Proton AA1150 (pay no attention to the power ratings)

Proton D1200 (same - the most powerful amplifier offered in the 1980s . . . I don't care what anyone tells you . . . )

Carver M500t (more powerful than the AA1150, but not the D1200

Phase Linear 400 (caution - they didn't nickname them the "flame linears" for nothing . . . )

Adcom GFA-1 (A nice little 200 wpc amp that works great with 8 ohm loads ONLY)

I've owned 'em all before moving on to McIntosh power amps. Be prepared to have any of these amplifiers tested and possibly reconditioned before putting them to use.

hey would fuseing on the speakers protect against the wrath of the flame linear ?

you can get a good used dj concert amp best bang for the buck i have 3 cl series crown amps on my home audio setup work great i found this on ebay just a suggestion look around you can find other brands qsc,crown,gemini, many other http://www.ebay.com/itm/CROWN-CE1000-Power-Amp-Amplifier-NICE?item=110896033252&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D1%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D9178130818995096121

you can get a good used dj concert amp best bang for the buck i have 3 cl series crown amps on my home audio setup work great i found this on ebay just a suggestion look around you can find other brands qsc,crown,gemini, many other http://www.ebay.com/...130818995096121

i have been thinking about a crown , they have an incredible warranty , and a nice price

• 2 weeks later...

what do you think of the cv-900 amp , thinking seriously about buying it , just wish cv was more clear on the numbers

http://www.cerwinvega.com/pro-audio/high-performance-amplifiers/cv-900.html

they don't specify rms or peak wattage , all the reviews i have found are good

Problem with the Cv 900 is the inputs not sure what your source is if its a home theater with rca preouts and no xlr outputs it wont work if it has the xlr outputs then it will and more than likely those numbers are rms.. they did have home versions with rca input for awhile i think.... what is your source anyways