Sonic Electronix

Hey I have a problem with my amplifier getting very hot after just a short time of playing, and it shuts off. (takes a while before it cooles down)

I have 2 cerwin vega vmax 15". 2*3,2ohm coils on each sub, so both subs are wired in parallel so it reads of 1,6ohm.

The amplifier I have is a dynabel monoblock, 1200watts rms @ 1ohm. So it should be ok to drive those two subs?

I just cant find the problem that makes the amp go so hot. Ive allready burned my last amp and I dont want it to happen again. Ground is looking nice, I grounded under my extra wheel in my trunk to bare metal with 4awg wire, since my amps power wire is a 4awg.

From my battery in front i run a 0 gauge wire into a split block to the back of the trunk to make sure i get enough power for the amp. So the 4awg power wire is only 1 foot long from the splitblock. So i guess the the power and grounding is more than ok for this amp.

I live in norway so hot weather isnt really a problem hehe.

Anyone have any tips or experience to cases that make amp go hot?

I guess my voltage isnt anything to brad about, I havent upgraded any of my electrical system except from doing the big three.

70amp alternator and 60ah battery.

Gain is alittle over mid. Bass boost nearly at max.

Bassboost is the KEY word here, turn the bassboost down and in fact never use it.

Don't use any types of boosting on subs and amps as they will lead to destroyed equipment.

EDIT: BTW Welcome to the forums.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

amp is getting hot from that bass boost/ clipping. Turn that boost shit off.

1999 Lincoln Town Car-(build underway)

- (2) SA15s, 4th order, DAT 2500.1, O2 mids n highs, 250a alt, HC 2400, Big 3....

1994 Pontiac T/A for speeding tickets.-

- Currently on jack stands, wanting to be a real race car

"Your local forecast, all the ladies in the metro area should expect to see 8 inches tonight" - The Todd

Decaf, on 01 November 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

i provide the ammo for destruction, the trigger finger is connected to the volume knob tho

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

Bassboost is the KEY word here, turn the bassboost down and in fact never use it.

Don't use any types of boosting on subs and amps as they will lead to destroyed equipment.

EDIT: BTW Welcome to the forums.

Solid advice.

I'm gonna hate

No bassboost at all? I only used it cause my subs obv played alot louder, but better to turn the gain up then?

What about fixing on the eq on my cd reciever, eventually turning up the subwoofer lvl on my cd reciever will be better?

The gains should be set to a level where they wont clip. They should not be set where they sound loudest. You may just need more power.

EDIT: CLEAN POWER

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

if you arent happy with how loud you areyou need more subs/more power. turn the bass boost off, play a 50 hertz test tone in your car, buy a digital multimeter, and use the formula sqrt of watts*ohms to figure out the voltage you need to set your amp at. put the + of the dmm in the + speaker terminal and the - in the -. SLOWLY turn the gain up until you reach the voltage you got using the formula. i say go slow because the voltage climbs fast!

Archived