Second Skin Audio

Trying to get louder with SA-8's

Alright, well as you know I am running 2 sa-8's in a ported box which I believe is ported at 33 hz. I had a hard time finding the volume. I build it kind of weird and there is a few air leaks. when I play rack city the subs will move but not be able to hear anything but the air from the subs. When I get the cash i'd like to rebuild the box with 3/4" mdf and glass all joints. 45 degree all corners. and just over all make it perfect. Will a better box do better for my subs?? how much are the air leaks effecting the subs and the sound? If you were to do the same build I did what would you do? square port? aero? where would you place it? where would you place the subs? and most of all how the hell do I get an accurate volume out of it. Thanks!

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif
Spending money on things I don't need, to impress others I don't know.
At the end of the day for me its about the love of customizing anything and everything to limits or even past reasonable.-SkyHighCarAudio

I have mine tuned to 28hz and it loves rack city which is around 30hz. turn your subsonic down and try it again, if theres still no sound gonna tune lower dude. BTW on the termlab your not gonna be as loud but it'll sound louder to the ear.

Scion tC SQ Build
iPad mini, lots of fabrication, daily driven
Ford Explorer C Pillar Wall Build

Just a cheap car to destroy with bass :D

The Sa-8 V.2s? I was going to have mine at 30 hz, but if that's not low enough tuning, I'm going to change it. I want it to sound good and dont really care about TL scores.

Sub Stage:

Sa-8 V.2 in a .72 cu ft box tuned to 33 hz

AQ 1200D

Upgrades:

Big 3

Battery

Bought from: Kevin@skaraudio, RooTxBeeR, UtkNate, dgaf

seeing those surrounds will have my assumption that they would enjoy in a box tuned low. im doing a box for a friend and ill have it tuned to 34hz........now seeing this may want me to tune it lower. BUT, the inches of port per foot increases, dont know if that will cause an issue

How do the Japanese feel about bass?

You know that since 03/11/11

Progene? I just saw that stuff on CNN. They said it makes your junk shrink all up. lol.

im pretty sure the op wont even notice if it gets even smaller.

Refs - Pstone11, porksoda, coleman

sounds like unloading.

i had this issue when i didnt have the right amount of port per square inch. (had about 11" tuned to 32, anything under 32 would unload)

if your box is just a rectangle/wedge.. aka doesnt have any weird middle humps to go over or etc.. just use torres.

14-17 sq in of port tuned at 32 will yield a nice low FS. (cant be exact cause i didnt win ISD the sub/enclosure, then theres cabin gain) but it will at least play down to 28 would be my guess.

since apparently you listen to rap music (so much so, that it motivated you to post that you lack lows) i'd tune to 30-33hz with the proper air space, and port per square inch.. you will enjoy it

probably go with aero ports to save air space

Edited by Sheena

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

4 cu ft @32 (new box and more port soon)

Firing Forward not sealed off

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

2 Runs To The Back 1 Pos 1 Neg In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

heres a few builds for the sa8

http://www.stevemead...-jakes-vw-golf/

http://www.stevemead...uild-in-hsv-r8/

http://www.stevemead...are-infinished/

http://www.stevemead...sa-8-box-build/

http://www.stevemead...in-a-navigator/

what ive been told/and seen done on most boxes

0.6cuft 14"sq port 30-33hz tune 4-500rms

Edited by john253a

SO how would be the best way to get an accurate volume? there are humps under the seat. My idea is to build a regular square box because I know i can build and tune that accurate then compare the sound to my current box.

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif
At the end of the day for me its about the love of customizing anything and everything to limits or even past reasonable.-SkyHighCarAudio

Buy about 5 1 cu ft bags of packing peanuts. Take the top of the box off, and start filling your box with the peanuts. Say you use 3 full bags. Then your box is 3 cubic feet ;)

under construction

I hate People with crappy primered cars rolling on hubcaps that are louder then me.

u hate c-fizzy?

Buy about 5 1 cu ft bags of packing peanuts. Take the top of the box off, and start filling your box with the peanuts. Say you use 3 full bags. Then your box is 3 cubic feet ;)

Cool how much are they are ups?

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif