Sonic Electronix

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i throw a coat of resin on sand it down en your good to go from there! easiest way imo!

Team Xtreme Amperage

Xtreme Audio Innovations

XtremeAudioInnovations.com

Facebook.com/xtremeaudio321

4 linked c notched bagged

Fiberglass door panels (5 speakers per door)

Mdf sucks to paint. The best way to get a good finish is to coat the box with fiberglass resin and then sand it smooth. Then just paint it like you would anything else

I agree with this, the wood will absorb too much primer and it will be uneven without a ton of prep, coating it with resin, sanding down then primering as normal will give you the best finish. Edited by Rich65

when i painted mine, i used 220 grit on an orbital sander,filled in the seams with some bondo,sanded again with 220, 5 coats of primer,sanded again to smooth it out,then the base coat,sanded again with some 320 and cleared it.thats with a rattle can.

console023.jpg

console026.jpg

Edited by badasschevy

center console: lvl 4 12 1.75 cu ft tuned 37htz

alpine cda-9886

dc audio 120.4

infinity kappa 6.5" components

Alright, I took in all your ideas and suggestions and I used the most realistic suggestions for the tools that I have to use. It's also my first box, it doesn't have to be perfect. So here is what I've got so far. I have the port painted and I'm starting to prep the exterior of the box for a good painting.

I'm just going to apply 2 coats of primer then black speckled paint unless I can get my hands on some cheap bedliner

2ab7a9f7.jpg

155ba727.jpg

e9d3e7a4.jpg

d51d0f42.jpg

31e4fbaf.jpg

2cfc1ea2.jpg

99180ba9.jpg

c3f3dc4b.jpg

40ff26c8.jpg

Edited by Crandis16

Carpet is really the way to go. Hides imperfections, hides screwholes if you move stuff around, protects the box. Then you just have to worry about painting the inside of the port. Bedliner would be my second choice. The only decent painted MDF boxes I've seen are ones where the guy uses like six different types of paint and filler with two dozen grits of sandpaper and it takes three weeks... far more difficult than finishing and painting even fiberglass IMHO.

Edited by Merzbow

Carpet is really the way to go. Hides imperfections, hides screwholes if you move stuff around, protects the box. Then you just have to worry about painting the inside of the port. Bedliner would be my second choice. The only decent painted MDF boxes I've seen are ones where the guy uses like six different types of paint and filler with two dozen grits of sandpaper and it takes three weeks... far more difficult than finishing and painting even fiberglass IMHO.

I have my own home audio that was bedlined and that stuff is tough. I love the texture so I think i might go with that if I can. I just need to get a price quote from someone or do it myself