i thought id post a few of my 61 bug with first attempt at a custom body matched painted sealed sub box.

This is a sealed fibreglass sub box i made for my Volkswagen Beetle 61 Convertible. Retrosounds Model One head unit with lots of little tricks like remote iPod dock hidden in the ash tray and USB under the dash. The subs need broke in so this is about 1/4 volume. I'm going for SQ not SPL so these were never meant to be really loud and i just didn't have enough space anyway for a large enough box to port. With the hood down the glass sits on top of the speaker rings. The box + speakers + amps and cap weigh around 120lbs so i had to add air suspension to the rear as well. Quality of sound on my phone isnt great, sorry for the distortion, in reality its crisp, clean and tight. Playing Flo Rida 'Low' and some young Jezzy in the videos at the bottom. Be gentle its my first attempt. i'm already planning 3 10s type-X replacement for these as it will give me more space.

Two Alpine Type-R 12s

Two Alpine Type-R 6x9 components

Two Alpine Type-R 5 1/2 components (up front)

Four Alpine SPX tweeters (separate)

Alpine PDX 1.1000 mono amp (rated to 1240W)

Alpine PDX 4.150 amp

InPhase 2.4 farad Capacitor

the build...

This is my first attempt at a rear speaker shelf which will hold two 12 inch Alpine Type R subs (3000W) the two Alpine PDX1.1000 PDX4.100 amps and a 3 farad power cap.

The box..

SANY0529.jpg

fiberglassed, isopon'd and sanded smooth.

speaker-shelf01.jpg

a couple of coats of high build primer ready to be sanded.

speaker-shelf03.jpg

speaker-shelf05.jpg

speaker-shelf04.jpg

I got some three stage paint mixed up the same as the car to match everything up perfect.

lots of sound deadening, a second battery and split charge kit to be installed to run the lot. Oh and a custom built airbag system in the back to take the extra weight.

bolton.jpg

I've finished spraying the speaker shelf/box. Its a three stage crystal white (same colour as the car), you can just see the pearl in it. Its not perfect but for 2 days work its not to bad. Sound proofing the car before i install the speakers and amps as the carpet has to come out first.

100_0628.jpg

100_0629.jpg

100_0631.jpg

Colour sanding the base coat really helps smooth out the look. This was done with expensive rattle cans made up by the motor factor. I would nearly tackle the car and some of its blemishes as the finish is pretty good, much better than i normally get with cans.

Ive got the momentary switches and new duel gauge installed, the on/off controls the power to the relay PSI switch. I've fitted the tank, compressor and electric valves, space it tight but it should leave some room. I've fitted a schrader valve so if the compressor has a problem i can fill up at the nearest station or with a manual pump.

IMAG0234.jpg

IMAG0232.jpg

IMAG0231.jpg

I've ordered some through rods from red 9 which will remove the torsions on the front and allow truly independent front suspension.

I've sound deadened the rear using this stuff called silent coat. Its thicker than dynamat and half the price and was recommended by a friend who's into his stereos. It easy to work and should hopefully kill some of the road and engine noise.

Untitled-5.jpg

Untitled-7.jpg

Untitled-6.jpg

Finished the sound deadening and taped up. I was able to do the rear quarter panels as well, theres a real difference from tinny ping to dull thud when you tap the panel. 22 sheets was just enough to do the firewall wheels shelf and both quarter panels.

soundproof1.jpg

soundproof2.jpg

soundproof3.jpg

heading out now to wire the split charge for the spare battery to power the the amps and stereo. You have to remember the lack of space in a bug, just enough room for an extra battery under the rear seat and no more.

Almost finished the wiring for the amp and installed a split charge for the spare battery.

I wired up a split charge with a relay and some blade fuse holders i had lying around.

splitcharge.jpg

The wiring for the Amps and capacitor done.

ampwiring.jpg

I did a test fit to see how it sits after the sound deadening and carpet added.

speakershelf2.jpg

speakershelf3.jpg

speakershelf1.jpg

I saw this oul geezer when i was on my way to get more speaker cable. He was filling his motor with fertiliser at B&Q (he must have ran out of banana skins for the flux capacitor :lol: ) what a way to travel to the hardware store! 8-)

deloren.jpg

I carpeted the box and added some terminals for access to the sub crossovers.

speakerbox01.jpg

speakerbox1.jpg

I've finished the wiring and the sub box and hopefully will get it fired up before the weekend. still got the rear air to install first 8-)

subbox02-1.jpg

untuned and about 1/4 volume at max. Sounds clean for such a small box.

ill post some pics of the air ride when its done.

Very interesting setup Sir ... Very clean !!!

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

there are plenty of bagged bugs around but you are talking body off welding which is major surgery. This is a bolt on offering, one of a kind so to speak. I got the parts back from the powder coaters on friday :)

Firestone bags with 6" of lift. 2" compressed and 8" fully inflated

rayvernairbag1.jpg

rayvernairbag2.jpg

rayvernairbag3.jpg

Edited by Johnny™

offered up the rear frame but need to move the brake lines first to measure for drilling the fixings, no time as the MOT is on wednesday. This is a one off frame built by a mate of mine who spent most of his time in Cali building rods and hydraulics.

rearbag03.jpg

rearbags01.jpg

Heres a video of testing the tank for leaks and some front up/down action

everything worked first go which i was really chuffed about.

Started on the front speaker pods. these will be fiberglassed and painted same as the rear.

Jasper circle cutting Jig. Fantastic bit of kit for building sub boxes

speakerpod01.jpg

Cut outs on 3/4 MDF different depths for counter sunk speakers

speakerpod03.jpg

trial fit of the speakers, Alpine type-R 5 1/4 components and type X tweeters.

speakerpod02.jpg

the cut out rings that will sit on a frame.

speakerpod04.jpg