Sundown Audio

Sundown : Revisiting Component Sets (Mid-Level)

I did some early prototyping around this time last year on some mid-level sets and they were quite good, IMO... I decided to re-evaluate them a bit based on the listening I've had with them since that time.

I received the first early prototype of the new mid-level set a few days ago and I will be replacing the 2011 prototypes in my car with these soon.

The biggest change is the cone material... for a set like this that crosses over higher I prefer a paper base vs. the composite base (woven material) that the other set utilized.

The set is NOT done as I plan to modify the frame on the mid as well as the motor ventilation. There will be no fancy eye-candy to the set -- very basic cosmetically with as much focus on the actual sound as possible.

Once I finalize the details I will talk more about the pricing level on them. For the level of sound quality that I am shooting for it will be very fair.

Here are the photos of the early set :

CIMG6260.JPG

* The crossovers use an "open tool" plastic housing but do offer some nice features; 12, 6, or full range slope on the mid LPF and also 0, -3, and -6 tweeter level adjustment. The grilles will remain a very basic model that offers good protection with little sonic interference.

CIMG6262.JPG

* Fairly standard silk dome tweeter; no frills but a nice sounding unit that is not harsh.

CIMG6263.JPG

* I really like this cone material... very smooth and natural sound.

CIMG6264.JPG

* This basket and motor are not vented at all on this early set -- that will change for thermal and acoustic reasons.

CIMG6265.JPG

* High quality spider with tight weave utilized

I will work on the packaging a little bit but I don't plan to make it super fancy and waste money where there is no performance gain to be had.

Once I feel the design is final I will be able to give an ETA -- as of now I cannot give one.

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

You have my intrest thats for sure! Can't wait to see some videos and see if this works out. I've been looking for a nice component set.

http://www.youtube.c...er/SmallTownSPL

2002 Chevy Blazer

Substage: Shhh, its a secret ;)

Mids and Highs: Stock-Going to change soon

Amp:MTX 92001

Wire:1/0 Welding cable

Electrical:Stock

http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

I hope she was meaning that to you. Any who.... You dont say you wanna have dinner in the first damn post. talk to her first. I say find out if the status was torwards you..

Here try this...

"Hey hows it going :)( notice smiley face makes everything better ) I saw your status. "You are far from usual".... So is my dick... Wanna Fuck tommorow???"

Or send her message saying "hey" she replies back "hey" when this happens reply Wanna fuck (INSERT ADDRESS HERE)

Quote of the SPL Creed ; back in the day my girlfriend gave me a choice between her and my love for car audio, I told that bitch I've made harder decisions at the Coke machine. :)

You have my attention.

Current system (still building) 2 kicker 12" dcvr in factory kicker ported box, Rockford Fosgate 1200.1 Amp, Kenwood ddx-470 ddin radio, Rockford Fosgate 0 Gauge wiring, Rockford Fosgate punch 6X8 2 way speakers.

Pretty excited about this... I knew you were working on some a year ago or so don't let this slip I want a few pairs!

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

1999 GMC Jimmy

24" alloy tech rims

alpine iva-d310

8 dc audio lvl 2 12's

2 kicker 1500.1's soon to be DC : )

2 kicker 450.2's soon to be DC also!

4 optima yellow tops

1 DC power alt 270 amp

All stinger HPM wiring

Cast_Frame.jpg

Here is the frame I will be using on the set (cast aluminum) -- as I said initially this first prototype is mainly to test / verify the cone material performs like I want it to. This frame is only a few millimeters deeper than the stamped unit... total depth is going to be about ~66mm which is 2.59"

I am also thickening the back plate, doing some small motor modifications, and adding ventilation to the back plate as well to help relieve pressure / back-wave reflections and to keep coil temperatures down.

I'll be putting the initial set in my car shortly... then I will be getting the revised midranges as quickly as possible. Once I verify everything we should be ready to roll soon after on production assuming it all checks out in my testing.

Also... I expect MAP price from a dealer to come in under $200

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

Banner_468x60.jpg

shit, Im liking that price point...

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

what kinda cutoff are you looking at on the packaged crossovers?

what size tweeter and material as well?

what kinda of spl/w efficiency are you looking at?

3800 Hz

Standard 1" silk dome

89.1 dB 1w/1m on the mid -- tweeter is a ~90 dB

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

Banner_468x60.jpg