Low voltage problem... with pics

Did you ever test the voltage out of the alternator

Not in a long time and not my me. Just at the batt bank. How do I check the alt with my DMM? almost blew my old dmm up once lol. can't remember the correct way to check it.

idk bout checking the amps but checking the voltage just set the dmm to dc/ac(i dont remember which) 20 volt and check it at the post like i said i dont know how to check amps with a dmm

http://www.youtube.c...e1?feature=mheehttp://www.stevemead...87#entry1993187

JVC KD-R530 head unit

VVME INNO-D1500 sub amp

Kenwood KAC-8402 amplifierPioneer 2-way 6.5 X2 @ 4 ohms

DTI Audio 6.5 X2 @ 4 ohmsbox: 4.24 ft^3 tuned to 61 hertz (port walls fell off and dissapeared :( )

Positive lead to the power wire off the alternator and ground lead right on the alternator casing

DO NOT GET A VCM

they arnt making them right now.. youll pay and wait MONTHS

i got one... spiked voltage into the 18v then screen stopped working.. sent it in and week after week i kept getting " were still waiting on parts/youll have it next week/were waiting on displays" after 4 months i tried getting my money back.. and was only givin a credit...

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

thats some bullshit dude id raise all hell

http://www.youtube.c...e1?feature=mheehttp://www.stevemead...87#entry1993187

JVC KD-R530 head unit

VVME INNO-D1500 sub amp

Kenwood KAC-8402 amplifierPioneer 2-way 6.5 X2 @ 4 ohms

DTI Audio 6.5 X2 @ 4 ohmsbox: 4.24 ft^3 tuned to 61 hertz (port walls fell off and dissapeared :( )

So anyway I see you ran 4 runs of 1/0 to back but did you do the Big 3?

Suppose to have

1/0 ground from Alternator to Frame

1/0 from Alt Power output to Battery fused

1/0 From Battery negative to Frame

DO NOT GET A VCM

they arnt making them right now.. youll pay and wait MONTHS

i got one... spiked voltage into the 18v then screen stopped working.. sent it in and week after week i kept getting " were still waiting on parts/youll have it next week/were waiting on displays" after 4 months i tried getting my money back.. and was only givin a credit...

That sucks man but I REALLY need a VCM or my system is useless. If I can't get an XS one is there any other companies that make them?? I'll call them tomorrow

So anyway I see you ran 4 runs of 1/0 to back but did you do the Big 3?

Suppose to have

1/0 ground from Alternator to Frame

1/0 from Alt Power output to Battery fused

1/0 From Battery negative to Frame

Yep, 2 runs from alt bracket to batts ground buss bar

one run from strut tower to engine block

6 from batts to ground buss bar (on chassis)

2 more from the chassis buss bar to chassis if that makes sense

There are no batts under hood.

Ok, I got my system all together and playing today. But now my voltage rests around 12.9 - 13.1 volts. When I first start the car it is 14.4 then goes down to 12.9 I am running 2 BC3500's strapped set with DD-1. I am not seeing much if any voltage drop on the volt meter but when I turn it up the bass hits really hard at first and then sort of looses its "punch" after a few seconds. the volt meter still says 12.9 or 13

Im not understanding why you think its a voltage issue when you said the voltage doesn't drop with or without the stereo bumping....

Alternators also have 2 different charge temperatures, hot and cold.

Cold is obviously when you first start the vehicle, and the engine and alternator are cool, at a colder temp the alternator will charge a tad higher on voltage.

Hot is when the car has been running, or just started up shortly after the car was previously running and is still hot. The alt will normally charge 1-2 volts lower than the cold temp. This is common with many alternators.

charging from 12.9 to 14.4 volts for example is a minimum in power gain/loss from the amps around 1000ish watts give or take a little bit due to impedance rise, and the voice coil temps, amp temp, etc...

You will never audibly really hear that 1000ish watts difference, its maybe .2-.4db quieter on a termlab, and without the meter your ear cant tell.

I would be more leaning towards something not being hooked up right, like a loose speaker wire, or a messed up voice coil or maybe even an amp issue, could even be a bad RCA plug that wiggles just enough to kill the signal. But not voltage, since you said you have no voltage drop with or without the stereo bumping.

Archived