Second Skin Audio

Box design approval + Question about woofer placement

Hey everybody.

If you could please review my measurements and calculations in Torres' Calculator and let me know if I am on the right track. it would be much appreciated.

Building a box for a single 15" Alpine Type R. SWR-1541 powered by about 400w

woofercalculatorpic.png

ALSO...

I have a question about woofer placement on my design. It is going to be a rear firing and rear facing slot ported box, with 3 common port walls. Where should the woofer be located on the face of the box. If you could take a look at the image below and let me know the best design taking into account my rather long port running along the back inside wall of the enclosure. Ideally, I'd like to use design #3, as I will have to play around with my measurements if I have to use either of the first two designs...

wooferplacement.jpg

Thanks!

2000 Jeep Cherokee

15" Alpine Type R box build coming soon!

Torres, do you mean that design 1 from my image is the best choice? considering he portt will run internally along the back wall quite a distance.

I forgot to mention that this is going into the cargo area of my Jeep Cherokee. Not a car/trunk. I am trying to keep the depth as small as possible to perserve as much cargo space as I can

2000 Jeep Cherokee

can you lower the box to say 16 high and incress the deepth to around 14-15

you will have a box that is easier to install in a trunk and get a better port ratio, and a bit bigger box

123456789-1.png

X2. If you're only putting 400 watts to the sub then you can go a little bigger on the box. Your port is very small, right at 10 sq in per cubic ft. It should be around 15 per cube, 12 sq inches is standard prefab.

Edit: Scratch my previous statement.

Edited by varietyguy

I just want to clarify and learn all I can, as this is my first ported box build. You two have been speaking about port ratio, and port area per cubic foot. Is that not the number that comes out of the bar "Port area per foot" on Torres? I was under the impression that it was, and understand the need to have at least 15" per cubic foot, therefore I thought mine calculated out to 16.21 sq in. per cubic ft...Am I doing something wrong?

2000 Jeep Cherokee

I just want to clarify and learn all I can, as this is my first ported box build. You two have been speaking about port ratio, and port area per cubic foot. Is that not the number that comes out of the bar "Port area per foot" on Torres? I was under the impression that it was, and understand the need to have at least 15" per cubic foot, therefore I thought mine calculated out to 16.21 sq in. per cubic ft...Am I doing something wrong?

I retract my previous statement I was fixated on your gross volume. Your port area is fine, The box could be a little bigger but overall it looks good. And yes design 1 from your list.

Thanks. Will I run into signifigant problems using design 3 versus design one (where the sub will not have the wall of the port behind it, but rather the back wall of the enclosure with the port ending off to the side)? What is the advantage or theory behind design 1?

Edited by Phawstir

2000 Jeep Cherokee

the sub won't unload directly into the port in design one. it will allow the woofer to use all the space inside the enclosure.

design 3 the sub is right behind the port. might run into trouble there

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.