Second Skin Audio

Sealed box for 2 12" Alpine Type R SWR-1242D

I have 2 12" Alpine Type R subwoofers. They are the older model (SWR-1242D). I am looking to put them in a sealed box. Alpine recommends using 0.57-1.0 cubic feet per sub for a sealed enclosure. Is this total box volume, or after sub displacement. How much space do the type R's displace? Can anyone give me a definative answer on the box volume? I can't seem to find a straight answer. Thanks

I had a kicker L7 15" in a huge ported box, and it was crazy loud, and great on rap, but it was missing notes on some faster electronic music I was playing. SPL is not what Im seeking, so I thought a sealed enclosure with these Type R's i have would be better for me. I have heard that Type R's are better in a ported box though. I don't know if this is true or not.

I'm going to have to agree with the others. If you have room to do ported correctly, then do it. I have just built a box for a single 12" ported, and used correct volume and port size and it hits great on all music types

Honda Accord SirT + Mad sounds = Awesomeness

VTEC go BRAAAAAPPPP :P

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141261-99-accord-sirt-sq-build/

Alright well i never done the big 3 so i see in my vision my truck on fire...

i have owned some type r's and my opinion is that they are good for rap and not much else , they are some what impressive but not so much acoustically correct . didn't have any midbass drivers playing with the type r's and maybe that would have made the difference as they played loud very low but dropped of very fast as notes get higher . tried sealed and ported boxes with them eventually sold them to get something else , my opinion is look elsewhere for a sound quality sub especially if you listen to multiple genres of music

Don't go sealed for these subs. When I had a sealed box to mine they sounded horrible, I then built a ported box and they are loud and i think have good SQ too (maybe thats just me.) If you have the space I'd defiantly recommend going ported.

1998 Ford Contour

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-P8400BH

Front/Rear Door Speakers: Alpine SPR-68 (Type-R 6x8)

Door Speaker Amplifer: Kicker ZX650.4

Subwoofers: 1 SSA Icon 12"

Amplifier: MB.Quart 1.1500d

Second Battery: XS Power D925

Archived