Power Wire From Battery MELTED Into

My friend recently bought an Orion HCCA 15" sub and Orion amp, and let me borrow his old setup until I buy mine in a week or so. It was a Sony Xplod 12" with a pioneer amp rated at 760 watt max. So its a very weak setup. I had it installed in my 2005 altima, and the inline fuse kept blowing, and the tech guys kept putting stronger fuses in. Eventually the power wire (4 gauge) MELTED into. I know this amp/sub were in good working order, because they were working fine in my friends truck until the day I had them installed in my altima. The installers put a "line output converter" behind my stock Bose head unit. The RCA cables, 4 gauge power wire, l and remote wire were ran from the front of the car to the trunk. The Ground wire was bolted to the frame in the trunk. I cant figure out what happend to cause the power wire to melt. Any thoughts?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you fuse the wire for more than it is rated for then it will melt. Obvious one there.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

:Doh: let's put a bigger fuse till it stops blowing!!

Yea don't take your car back to those guys, they don't have a clue of what they are doing. It's probobly not grounded very well like stang said. Post some pictures so we can see what te ground looks like.

i have the same car make sure every time u fold ur seats up it doesnt fuck with the ground wire if u have shitty wire it might even cut it.

Current Setup: , 2 Fi sp4 18s in a big ass flat wall tuned to 23hz, Pioneer 80prs, 2 Digital Designs m3bs strapped @ 2 ohms, Banda ICE2000, Crescendo 800.4, 4 PRV 10MR1000s,4 Mclaren MLT300 Super Tweeters Kinetik 2000 XS Power 2700 & XS Power 3100s.

:Doh: let's put a bigger fuse till it stops blowing!!

shoulda just took the fuse out and gone wired for fire.

Now that you mention it, I'm surprised they didn't do something like that.

Archived