from my experience never had a problem switching back and forth between conventional and synthetic..... my car has 124k on it and have switched back and forth 2 times due to money issues LOL..... never had a problem with leaking BUT did notice when you switch from conv. to synth BACK to conv. oil it gets black quick.....like in 2000 miles..... my car usually can go 3000 and just barely be dark on conventional..... synthetic i can go like 6k til it starts turning dark.

synthetic is the way to go..... way better IMHO

EDIT: last oil change was with royal purple 10w30 synthetic and will never buy it again..... lasted 3k and BLACK as all hell not worth the money at all.....$10/ quart @ 5 quarts + $25 for RP filter= lotza money for "great" oil and a not so happy customer.....

The reason the royal purple became more "black" was because the detergents were doing their job. A dark or black motor oil does NOT mean its "bad" or it's "time to change" what it means is that the detergents in the oil are doing a good job of cleaning out the sludge an keeping the sludge suspended long enough to be captured in the oil filter.

Just because the oil is black does not mean the additives and lubrication properties have broken down to a point where the oil is no longer protecting the engine at operating temperature.

Edit-damn ninjas! Lol

Edited by sprkn_ranger

i say go for it , if you have any issues with running synthetic , like new noises or a small amount of consumption , add some lucas oil stabilizer . mobile 1 and lucas oil stabilizer is my favorite combination , i usally run half a qt of lucas to 4 qt of oil

We use Valvoline Full Synthetic in all out cars and have for a few years now. It might also be "needed" these days but we still change the oil around every 3-4 thousand miles. Some people will say I am wasting my money but in my opinion a few more quarts of oil is nothing compared to the cost of rebuilding a motor so I don't have a problem spending the money.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

just an fyi Mobil 1 isnt very good anymore they changed their formula to staisfiy the green movment and keep the API ring on the bottle which basically eliminates zinc and phosphorus if you want good protection use oils high in zinc and phosphorus they wont have the nifty little API gear looking ring of approval and most likely labeled as race oils . 2 best oils IMO currently are #1Red Line and 2#Schaeffer.

side note i cant tell you how many times while i worked at GM advanced engineering, Royal Purple failed in testing. at the time the 2 best oils tested were Mobil 1 & Amsoil to the best of my knowledge Amsoil is still a great product and have personally seen them cut a check for a blown engine due to poor oil !

Edit* valvoline race oils are available at almost every autoparts store and it is a fine oil also

Edited by V8SRSLO

glad to see you made it to the forum.. i had a feeling you would chime in on this. there are some real knee slappers that happen in this sub forum.. so be prepared.

just run a high mileage oil. problem with synthetic is once you run it you cant go back to conventional, and usually with synthetic your oil changes are stretched out more

That is a statement that has 2 answers. Yes you can and no you can't so....

x2

In both my van and my truck I experimented using synthetic and conventional, I noticed no difference with either. My mileage was the same, idled the same, and acceleration was the same. Honestly the thing that made an actual difference was using the "high mileage" oil, the truck actually leaks less.

IMO using synthetic in a typical N/A gas engine doesn't make any difference with engine life, it's keeping up with the oil changes thats the biggest factor.

• 2 weeks later...

I like to use castrol gtx full synthetic on my car. Been using synthetic for 3 years now and i notice a difference in perfomance from regular oils

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS, (2) Rockford Fosgate T400-4, (4) Rockford Fosgate T1652-S Component Sets, (1) Rockford Fosgate T1500-1BDCP, (1) Rockford Fosgate T2D415 in a ported box (5.5cu. ft. tuned @ 37Hz), (1) Optima Yellow Top under hood, (1) Shuriken 80 amp batt in the back, 2 runs 0 AWG OFC Rockford Fosgate wire, Big 3 upgrade on front and back battery, Stock Altenator (90 amps), RF RCA's, Kicker 12AWG OFC speaker wire, Stinger roadkill sound deadner all over the inside of the car

just run a high mileage oil. problem with synthetic is once you run it you cant go back to conventional, and usually with synthetic your oil changes are stretched out more

No. You can switch back to conventional at any time. And I'm not really sure what you mean by stretching out oil changes. You can change it at any time

Edit: For synthetic, I suggest either Amsoil, Royal Purple, or lubro-moly. All are 100% synthetic vs. stuff like mobil 1 synthetic which uses a 'natural' base with synthetic additives. Not a true synthetic oil.

And synthetic's biggest advantage is startup protection due to a high film strength.

Edited by SnowDrifter