Second Skin Audio

blow-through questions mayhem 18 d2

Ok, so I want to do a blowthrough on my 1986 chevy crewcab 4x4 1 ton. I will be getting the sub and box tomorrow and the sub faces forward and curfed port faces up. It is 48"W 22"H 22'L. I was wondering if it would be best to have the port firing into the cab or the subwoofer, Or is this idea just ridiculous. Also it has a campershell on it. It will be powered by a sa3500. The accordian boot would be used but i need to make sure that it is very sealed because this truck is an offroad toy and gets dirty. I would prefer to just fabricate an extension off of the port that way the hole wouldn't be giant. I don't think i am leaving anything out i just need some help.

Thanks in advance to everyone

hopefully this will work

For a blowthrough use a 4th order so that all the output of the box go through a port, that also will enable you to cut a smaller hole, this is one of the few situations in which I would recommend a 4th order.

Also dont just get some box (prefab)

You have a lot of space inside, is it really necessary to consider a box outside?

thanks for the quick reply.

Can you elaborate on why the 4th order would be better? I am not understanding the physics of it.

I wanted to do a blow-through because:

1 i wanted the interior to look stock and i didnt want to have to change my seats out.

2 its a long bed.

3 its registration requires that it keeps the campershell on at all times.

With a 4th order, all the bass comes from the port.

With a standard vented enclosure like you are asking about, the sound comes from the woofer and the port.

With a 4th order, the port could be designed to open into the cab behind the seats, with the standard vented enclosure, the baffle needs to be a few inches back from the front of the bed so the full range of sound can make it into the cab.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Well if you insist on using that box with the port and sub facing in different directions, my opinion is that is your best choice.

If you blow the windows out of the camper, it is one cheap a$$ camper, so you need a nicer one anyway with a bunch of nice equipment in the back.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

This is what's going in my 94 Ford F350 Crew Cab, with 4 DC Audio Lvl 4 12's. I have a tool box, no shell like you, so I wanted to confine everything in there. The 4th order allows me to cut minimal out of the cab and bed which is what I wanted. A few designs I drew up on sketch up.

This is the original design, with straight baffles. The stand alone piece that's on the back side about 3 inches away is the panel that will go on the interior wall for the amps. Don't know if that makes sense.

4thorderdesign2backview.jpg

4thorderdesign2Cabinview.jpg

Then I did another one angling the baffles so the subs don't face each other. Subs will be inverted to the ported section (cones to the sealed section).

4thorderdesign3Top.jpg

With the plexi window on top so when you open the tool box you can see the sexy ass subs!

4thorderdesign3TopwithGalss.jpg

Build thread is in my sig if you're interested. Just suggestions, how I'm doing it anyway.

Edited by scooter99

Ya i have been watching yours. The only thing that is keeping me from doing a 4th order box is time and money, well.... time is money. And i don't wanna have to get rid of this gorgeous box. So i understand that if i do a 4th order all of the sub power will be going into cab. If i do it the way i orininally described it will be 50/50 with broken windows.

This is what's going in my 94 Ford F350 Crew Cab, with 4 DC Audio Lvl 4 12's. I have a tool box, no shell like you, so I wanted to confine everything in there. The 4th order allows me to cut minimal out of the cab and bed which is what I wanted. A few designs I drew up on sketch up.

This is the original design, with straight baffles. The stand alone piece that's on the back side about 3 inches away is the panel that will go on the interior wall for the amps. Don't know if that makes sense.

4thorderdesign2backview.jpg

4thorderdesign2Cabinview.jpg

Then I did another one angling the baffles so the subs don't face each other. Subs will be inverted to the ported section (cones to the sealed section).

4thorderdesign3Top.jpg

With the plexi window on top so when you open the tool box you can see the sexy ass subs!

4thorderdesign3TopwithGalss.jpg

Build thread is in my sig if you're interested. Just suggestions, how I'm doing it anyway.

Not sure how are you going to manage to have the sealed sections completely air tight from the ported section with that single sheet of plexi on the top.

My blowthrough turned out great, just ALOT of work ...

Not sure how you think that that enclossure with the ports up is going to work in a blowthrough setup, when EVERYTHING fires into the cab ... Scooter's idea seems very logical, I'm just trying to picture it in a tool box and sealing that port in the process ...

can't wait to see it ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch