1st box build attempt for my type R 10. All done!

Whats up guys. Prefab boxes are the pits, the one I had was like 0.87 cu ft tuned at something in the 40's. NO MORE! I have always wanted to build a custom ported box for it but didn't think I could do it w/ my tools and skill set, but for whatever reason this past weekend I said F*** it! Won't know until you try, right? The enclosure is just a simple rectangular slot port, designed to be about 1.4 cu ft net, ~35 Hz, 20.125 sq in port area. Going in my 98 Honda Prelude. Anyway, on w/ the pics!

IMG_0366.jpg

Took out the old framing blade that came w/ the saw

IMG_0312.jpg

New Diablo finish blade

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

Building a circ saw guide for nice, straight cuts

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

I was able to get away with only buying 2 2x4 sheets of 3/4" MDF. Saved me about $10 over a full sheet, plus these actually fit in the prelude. BARELY

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

All the panels cut! Cuts are almost perfect, on one rip i think my hand let the saw come off the guide for an instant. Very slight wobble on a few edges, nothing too bad

IMG_0330.jpg

Big mess

IMG_0331.jpg

Construction begins

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

I found the port walls the trickiest to install. Difficult to clamp and screwing in blindly from the bottom. I had a few missed drills and some cursing but I got it in there.

IMG_0341.jpg

I learned you can't have too many clamps. I'm gonna go back to Harbor Freight and get some more while they're cheap.

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

Its a box!

IMG_0347.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

My jig saw cutout is functional, but embarrassingly bad. I should have practiced on a scrap piece!

IMG_0350.jpg

Now to make it pretty

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

Here was my first big mistake. For symmetry sake I did the terminal cup cutout right in the middle of the back panel. Cut through to realize I just cut right into my port wall! OOPS! Luckily it still sounds fine, but next time I know to put the cup on a side panel. Gotta learn from mistakes, right?

IMG_0353.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

Priming begins

IMG_0357.jpg

Primer always looks like crap, but at least it makes the finish paint look so much better

IMG_0362.jpg

1st coat of Rustoleum multicolor textured spray paint. I was skeptical, but am impressed by the product. Good stuff! Painting the inside of the port white

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

Inside of cup was taped off even though it doesn't look it here. I think its just reflection

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

Time to get the sub outta the old box. GLADLY!

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

Got some brand new hardware. T nuts and hex head screws

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

Its in the car. Sounds great, but I'm gonna try flipping it around when it stops raining to see what sounds better.

IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

Extra trunk space is for the birds B)

IMG_0396.jpg

So there ya go. It's not perfect, but being my first attempt at building a box I'm pretty happy. My type R can BREATHE now! And it sounds awesome! I think I can officially say I'm done with prefab boxes, I proved to myself that I can build my own w/ pretty basic handheld tools, and its a lot of fun! As far as possible changes, like I said I am gonna flip it around soon to see what sounds better, and I may rethink the amp rack. I know there's a better way to use that space more effeciently. Thats for another day though.

Let me know what you think or if you have any questions. I'm very open to constructive criticism, I'll be the first to tell you I made some mistakes and it ain't perfect. Nobody would ever get better if they didn't make mistakes.

i spoke to soon. disregard this :P

Edited by 97Jetta1637

#teamihop

Two 12 inch DC XL's

Carbon Fiber Cap

Stetsom 7k

Shell of box / baffle built by me

Port / sealing the box by John Hone

Fuck midrange

Alpine-9886

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/177428-97jettas-sql-trunk-wall-loudest-99-buick-century-custom-with-a-one-legged-owner/

price has no influence on how something sounds

I told him to move the fucking port.

they see me hoppin they stoppin they can't believe im so white and dirty

It looks like you got so drunk, that someone came up and stole your leg.

Turned out good. I think 20 sq in of port is way to much though.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

isn't 1.4 cube a little high for a 10? anyway I like the box, I tried to do my box like yours but my paint go all scuffed up because the box slid all aaround until I got a false floor. looks good, I wish I had those clamps when I did my box