We have all helped to kill the local dealers...

More bs talk from me... It is pretty sad that these days we are pretty much forced to buy car audio parts on the internet since there just isn't the support of local shops anymore like there used to be.... my last experience...

I don't know about everyone else s areas, but the local shop is few and far between in my areas anymore. I hate to say it, but the internet has pretty much killed the industry. I'm as guilty as anyone else for wanting to look online for the items I want to purchase, and who has to good prices, etc. The convenience of being able to find exactly what you want, instead of deciding on something that the local stores have in stock is prob the main reason I purchase any item for that matter online.

With all the internet webstores, or people drop shipping for wholesalers, along with all of us who are looking for the lowest price on everything, has killed off just about all of the shops that used to be around back in the day. In my local area, I am pretty much limited to two main shops, and a couple of smaller ones. Anyone of them is at least 45min drive from my home in the Metro Detroit area. Most of what any of these shops have in stock is entry level common young kid stuff. For instance, when purchasing amplifiers for my truck which I recently installed, I specifically wanted a PDX-F6 and PDX-M12. There are several reasons why, and I wasn't going to change my mind. So trying to support the local businesses, I stopped by my local Alpine dealer (Car Tunes) to give them a chance to at least be someone close to pricing from an online Authorized Alpine dealer. I told them up front that I would rather buy local, if they can get me anywhere in the ball park of what I was looking at (remember, I wasn't looking for the lowest price online/ebay or whatever, I was at a dealer with a website linked from Alpine. Factory Authorized, to ensure my items are legit and warrantied) . And here is what I ran in to. "We normally don't carry the PDX line in the store. They cost to much, and people aren't spending that kind of money on amps these days" ummm.. Ok, fine. Can you order them for me? how much can you sell the two for? "Wellllllllll I could look into ordering them, but tell me why you want the PDX amps instead of something else"? and I basically said it doesn't matter why I want them, I came in here because I know what I want to buy. and then I'm told this... "You don't want those PDX amps. We sell this Arc audio amplifiers that are way better than the Alpine, and I have them in stock" At that point I told the guy, if you want to look into ordering the PDX, let me know what you can do. I am NOT interested in anything else, I want the PDX amps for the certain reasons in which I want it. Thats it. and from there the guy took my number, was going to find out what he can do as far as ordering them, and call me. Guess what? Never heard from him. It just seems like this stuff seems to be far too common these days. Why do I want to support this guy who can't even give me the respect to try to help me purchase what I want from him who is actually a Authorized Dealer??? I mean really? I can sit here on my couch and point and click on EXACTLY what I want to purchase, from an authorized dealer, without having to fight with a guy who doesn't want my business, and then just wait for it to show up at my door.

It just seems like no one cares anymore. I envy you if you are fortunate to have a good local dealer in your area. For me, I just haven't had good luck lately. Back in the day I was a regular at three different shops. All three sold different lines of products. Between the three, I could pretty much get about anything that I would have wanted. And everyone was always happy to to sell me what I wanted and take my money. I miss those days. If there are any good old shops like that in the Detroit area anymore, someone please let me know.

-= J-dUb =-

....no 12 step program can cure my car audio addiction...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well shops have to be worth a shitt as well. Alot of shops that have gone under may not have been great in the firstplace. There is a really good local shop here near fresno, Audio Innovations who I doubt will ever go out of business just based on doing a+ work. Im sure some good shops have fallen, but many good ones will have a chance to perservere based on being that good

Team Flex Issues

Low tuning > God

2011 CALI AS1 STATE CHAMP

The only time I ever shop at my local audio shop is when they do their annual 50 percent off deal to make room for the new year models. If they ever dropped their prices I'd be all over that shit. But I'm not spending 5 bucks a foot on 1/0 wire. Ever.

98 Isuzu Rodeo
Pioneer Deh-6300ub
SUBS
​*Upcoming* SSA Xcon 18 4th order
AMP
​Banda 3500
Mids/Highs
Pioneer
EQ
Clarion EQS746
ETC.
Two 1/0 run's
KnuKoncepts 1/0 big 3
Shuriken BT-100 under the hood
Shuriken BT-120 in the back

issue with most shops around me is arrogance such as "I CAN DO ANYTHING YOU PAY ME TO DO" i will say this there is one shop i will go to near me that isnt priced too badly and they are very helpful. but other than that they are either way too expensive or too arrogant. as for ordering online it all boils down to conveinece

JEEP BUILD PROJECT ANTIBLING.2000 jeep Cherokee.HEADUNITAlpine Cda-9886SUBSTAGE1 acendent 18" audio mayhem motor with a TI basket and tantric parts1 prototype DAT hellfire 1000.1HIGHSStockELECTRICALdb link 0 gaugeKnuconceptz Kolossus 4 gauge1 xs power d3400 under hoodBig 3 upgradeold fourwheeler build

The only way to delete your SMD account is for you crawl to steve meades door step on your knees and pleade for his forgiveness and acceptance to be released...He will either grant your wishes.....or choke you with a large piece of 0 gauge and electrocute you by hooking up a solid gold DC 12k at 0.000001 ohm and 10000 volts to your eye sockets and blow your head apart

You guys act like you have never clogged a toilet and ran around the bathroom frantically hoping it don't overflow.

alot of local shops only carry a select couple brands..or lines of those brands...they just try to sell what they want who they think will buy them....i mean i was at a local shop just 3months ago they had Audiopipe amps like the AP1500 for 3x the price you can order it for off of Amazon...and they had only 3 lines of subs...Kicker..JL..and American Bass...the AB were also way overpriced...basically forcing people to buy Kicker or lowend JL like W1 or W3s...and even those were overpriced in my opinion...with tactics like those its easy to see how shops have failed over the years...

It must be me but I think alot of guys open shops just to get the dealer prices for their own setups these days...there are also local shops here that wont answer the phone or have really crazy hours...

I have been told point blank by a shop that I should just order online because they cant beat internet prices!

http://www.stevemead...cherokee-build/

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Alpine CDE-hd148bt

Alpine PKG-RSE2

PRV Audio (4) 6MB200 front/rear doors

PRV Audio (4) TW350Ti dash/rear doors

Kicker KX350.4

Obsidian Audio (1) 18 D4 v2

revamp (2) Stereo Integrity HT 18d2
DC Audio 1.2k
5.25ft^3 tuned @34hz

revamp Infinite Baffle Cpillar

AudioTechnix 60mil deadener
KnuKonceptz & SkyHigh wire (complete setup)

stroupe79.jpg

Local shops have killed themselves. They are over priced and normally treat customers poorly. Where a little bit of practice and some learning the average person can pull off the same level of install that most of the local shops can around here. If I had a shop like AI in my area I would be all over getting advice and buying equipment, but tinting and alarms are the extent to what our local shops can do.

Next time she tries to punch you in the stomach, whip your wiener out and chase her around. Show her who's boss.

too arrogant

this right here has turned me away from one shop period. for even just going and hanging out. one guy talked my ear off. took me downstairs and showed me all their projects and all kinds of stuff. now that might not be a common practice, but i went back and this other guy wanted nothing to do with me. acted like it caused him physical pain to answer me just one little question. i saw him at a car show once too and his nose was so turned up so high i'm surprised the air was thick enough to even breathe. what a douche. no other shops are close to me, so...so be it.

issue with most shops around me is arrogance such as "I CAN DO ANYTHING YOU PAY ME TO DO" i will say this there is one shop i will go to near me that isnt priced too badly and they are very helpful. but other than that they are either way too expensive or too arrogant. as for ordering online it all boils down to conveinece

I agree. It also seems like the only thing they are interested in anymore is remote starts and alarms, since the inventory and much easier. I used to have this little whole in the wall shop near me. They carried some pretty good stuff, but not the big name stuff. I remember being in there and wondering what the hell a linear power amp was? Had to be some cheap garbage lol Anyway, this was back when I was first driving, and the point was the owner was as nice and helpful as can be. Customer service like you don't see anymore. He actually patched in am amplifier I was looking at, and a amp and woofer powered from inside the shop out into my car to demo what I was looking into buying. Good luck finding someone even letting touch something these days without paying for it lol This is the kind of guy who would come out and sit in your car to demo what you had put together and was supportive of the hobby and fun. Wether you had the crappiest system around, or the most expensive. He would enjoy it and compliment someones passion and love for car audio.

I wonder whatever happened to Brian....

-= J-dUb =-

....no 12 step program can cure my car audio addiction...

there are 5 audio shops within 5 miles of my house. only 1 is worth a sh*t. the others do crappy work and/or are overpriced. now the only good shop is relocating about an hour away. this is a sad day for audio in my city.

03 Santa Fe E A 200 amp alt,JVC AVX840,kenwood 6.5 fr speakers,eclipse 6.5 rears,mids/high amp XTA-2160, sub amp XTA-5000d,0 guage throughout,batts-front/1 batcap 2000,rear/ batcap4000,2 C&D Dynasty agms, subs 2 DC XL M1 15"s in a music box tuned to 28hz....for now.

well what i liked about this shop was that they went out of their way to help me find a repair guy to fix my amp, even though i hadent spent any money there or anything needless to say thats really all it took to make me a customer, if i need something for my jeep really quick i go there or if i need something for a friends install i go there first

JEEP BUILD PROJECT ANTIBLING.2000 jeep Cherokee.HEADUNITAlpine Cda-9886SUBSTAGE1 acendent 18" audio mayhem motor with a TI basket and tantric parts1 prototype DAT hellfire 1000.1HIGHSStockELECTRICALdb link 0 gaugeKnuconceptz Kolossus 4 gauge1 xs power d3400 under hoodBig 3 upgradeold fourwheeler build

The only way to delete your SMD account is for you crawl to steve meades door step on your knees and pleade for his forgiveness and acceptance to be released...He will either grant your wishes.....or choke you with a large piece of 0 gauge and electrocute you by hooking up a solid gold DC 12k at 0.000001 ohm and 10000 volts to your eye sockets and blow your head apart

You guys act like you have never clogged a toilet and ran around the bathroom frantically hoping it don't overflow.

Archived