Second Skin Audio

Fosgate 15" T1 dual 4 ohm, smells....funny

Earlier today i traded my SA-8 v.1 D4 and some cash for a Rockford Fosgate 15" T1 dual 4 ohm, seemed to work fine when the guy did a demo, free air, off his amp, played for a minute fine, didnt smell anything, didnt hear anything funny, was wired at 2 ohms, so both coils were hooked up. Now i get home about an hour ago and did a a test in some random 15" box i found in my shed, for literally 30 sec to see how it sounded in a sealed box, crappy btw, and i took it out and it smells like old/ burnt/ electronics, it works fine, both coils are working, i tested them differently, and together, its got good excursion, doesnt bind, surrounds are good, i can see the coil is shiny copper, not burnt as far as i can see, so whats the problem? is it burning up slowly? is it about to burn up? can i only see one of the coils? was it burnt up, and fixed, so the smell is just there? what wrong with it?

thanks

How big was the box, how were the gains on the amp set? Improperly set gains lead to clipping, clipping leads to frying a coil. You might be okay though, just get it in a proper enclosure and set the gains on the amp correctly

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Was voltage good when you played it? I'd say if the coil looks good, you should be okay. I don't know if I would've bought a sub with seeing it perform free air. Subs don't like free air and I wouldv'e wanted to see if it was ok IN a box. I think you'll be just fine though, maybe it just has a smelly nature. What amp do you have on the sub for the test in this box?

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Ok, so i think im a retard, i just pushed up the cone, i saw the top half of the copper looked brand new, and the other half is like a grayish black, am i boned? and if one coil is blown, which is what it seems like, then which coil is which? how do i find out if the top of the coil is the connections on the right or left or the sub? can i run it off one coil and just cut the rms in half?