well i was playing my subs today and i started to smell the coils burn so i guess its time to look into setting the gains the right way and put the good ole' earometer away. is setting the gains with a multi meter any more accurate? any other way without a o scope or dd-1? there isnt anyone with one within 200 miles of me and i dont have a credit card/ pay pal or the money to just buy a dd-1.

*current*

1991 honda crx si

2 skar audio 12s

pioneer 6.5s

dual 400 watt amp

audio technix

db 1/0 wiring kit.

dual head unit

nope closest is all the way down in san antonio and i live about 2 and a half hours away from there.

*current*

1991 honda crx si

2 skar audio 12s

pioneer 6.5s

dual 400 watt amp

audio technix

db 1/0 wiring kit.

dual head unit

well using an muti meter wont do much for you. what kinda amp subs you got? All i could say is turn those gains down a bit or try setting the gains with you radio all the way up cause most likely you wont be listening to your radio at max volume

2 skar vvx 12s and a hifonics brz 1700. for now i just turned the amp wayyy down no where near clipping just to be safe but it sucks because its so much quieter its not worth risking burning up my subs though until i get the proper equipment

*current*

1991 honda crx si

2 skar audio 12s

pioneer 6.5s

dual 400 watt amp

audio technix

db 1/0 wiring kit.

dual head unit

Setting gains with a DMM only puts you in the 'ballpark' of where a CEA compliant amp should make the power you're looking for. That doesn't mean that amp won't clip trying to make that power. So mathematically, it's correct. You just have no idea where/when distortion comes into play. You need the tools to set it properly.

'11 Jeep Patriot New Build

Head Unit: Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD

Front: Massive CK69 Components

Front Amp: Massive NX2

Rears: Infinity Kappa's

Subs: 8 Sundown SA-8 v2's

Sub Amp: AB 450.1

XS D3100

Come on 150!

well i was playing my subs today and i started to smell the coils burn so i guess its time to look into setting the gains the right way and put the good ole' earometer away. is setting the gains with a multi meter any more accurate? any other way without a o scope or dd-1? there isnt anyone with one within 200 miles of me and i dont have a credit card/ pay pal or the money to just buy a dd-1.

If you are going to set your gains with a multimeter you will need a True RMS multimeter.

Setting gains with a DMM only puts you in the 'ballpark' of where a CEA compliant amp should make the power you're looking for. That doesn't mean that amp won't clip trying to make that power. So mathematically, it's correct. You just have no idea where/when distortion comes into play. You need the tools to set it properly.

Definitely your best bet is to take this advice and find a local DD-1/O-Scope owner.

Edited by 8ight

I'm gonna hate