Hey guys, just did the spider upgrade on my '97 5.7L Vortec Silverado to the MPFI and giving some input if anyone else was considering this swap.

Firstly, my reasons for doing this: I just put a new crate engine in it last summer and I'm trying to keep everything in good condition to make this truck last another 300,000 miles, the original spider is a well known issue on these engines, I wanted a little better mpg, and pretty soon I'm doing a new exhaust and tune and I know this will help performance.

The intake and oem spider were cleaned very well when I put the crate engine in the truck last summer so the noticeable improvements are minimal in this case. If you did this for an engine that was in desperate need for an intake and injector cleaning, I believe it would be a world of difference.

The cheapest I found the spider was from Amazon, $280 free shipping: http://www.amazon.co...2263458-3238149

What it looked like open box

2012-06-24_14-11-14_703.jpg

The original spider taking out

2012-06-25_11-48-15_757.jpg

And the new mpfi in

2012-06-25_12-05-33_372.jpg

It took me about 2-3 hours but only because of some pain in the ass issues removing and getting the top intake manifold back on. I was lazy and didn't remove all that I should have for more space(wiring, hoses, brackets, etc)

After I was done, I started the truck and went for a test drive.

WOW the throttle is much much smoother and much more responsive. Power is right on top of the pedal instead of pressing down a bit. I went up some steep hills and didn't lose hardly any speed, keeping the same position on the pedal.

There isn't a difference in the flow rate from my original and this spider, however I noticed you are only on the throttle for half the time you used to be (as in you're already at the speed limit and now its time to let off, this is probably where the better MPG comes in)

The only con I can think of is that my exhaust was slightly quieter at lower RPMs, no different after 2kish. (cats, no mufflers, stock manifolds)

After everything I think this was well worth the money. Only $280, and a fairly easy direct bolt-on product. If any issues arise I'll post them up here.

Thanks guys!

1997 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab, 350 Vortec

Things to come at some point...

Build Log: http://www.stevemead...2200ds-133-ohm/

Howdy there, I'm doing the same conversion to my truck, I have the spider all the way in, however I cant get the dang plenum to seat properly... It's like an 1/8th of an inch too high, and it seems like the spider itself is too high? I was wondering if you had the same issue and how you fixed it... Thanks...

[email protected]

Semper Fi, Do Or Die

Howdy there, I'm doing the same conversion to my truck, I have the spider all the way in, however I cant get the dang plenum to seat properly... It's like an 1/8th of an inch too high, and it seems like the spider itself is too high? I was wondering if you had the same issue and how you fixed it... Thanks...

[email protected]

Semper Fi, Do Or Die

Everyone has that same problem, even when you lubricate the o-ring on the top of the spider with oil. I just continued to wiggle it down and got some pliers and gently wiggled and pulled the spider up. Just tedious work, and it doesn't have to be perfect just so there's a good seal where the o-ring sets.

Good luck!

1997 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab, 350 Vortec

Things to come at some point...

Build Log: http://www.stevemead...2200ds-133-ohm/

Yea, lol I didn't read this till WAY later in the evening after I got it all back together. I just tightened the plenum down properly (zig-zag pattern) and eventually it finally seated right... Not to mention a generous extra addition of petroleum jelly!

My big 3/4 ton runs much better now... I mean the carbon deposits were terrible, so I'm hopeing with a tank or two of super premium every now and again, it'll clean up nicely over time, and I'll see even more improvement.

Now I just need to get the AC figured out *scratches my head*

thanks!

Semper Fi, Do Or Die

Archived