Second Skin Audio

audio que hdc312 break in

If a spider is going to rip, then it will rip regardless of how you play it before it rips. If a spider rips, or you tear a surround, or you bust a triple joint, or toast a tinsel lead, it is because YOU were doing something YOU weren't supposed to. OR something the sub wasn't designed to do.

Subs are stupid. they do what you want them to. If you have them do something stupid, then bad results may follow.

I am gonna have to disagree, in most cases you would be right but being the fact I have reconed about 2 dozen of the hdc3 two different versions in my own truck last season, you have to break the v3 version in or you will rip the triple joint. The new v4 hdc3 has a larger diameter spider so the break in process is greatly accelerated.

Now having said that, I using free air mine on a 250w Memphis amp with test tones for a few hours and works like a champ. Last season if I put a fresh recone in my wall and tried to play music I would destroy them if I didn't have them loosened up. And one set of woofers I played at lower volume for 3 weeks before going full tilt with them or burping at lower ohm load. Didn't have any problems with them. I have dozens of other examples where we broke some in had good results and one where we didnt and had failures.

TEAM SOUNDQUBED -- TEAM SOUTH

TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain

3x Streetbeat World Record Holder

2017 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 
2016 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem/2nd Adv 4/2nd Xtreme 4
2015 MWSPL 2nd place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4
2014 USACI 2nd place Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db
2014 MWSPL 2nd place Xtreme 4 - 144.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db
2013 MWSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4
2011 USACI 2nd place MOD 1001-2k - 160.0 db
2011 MWSPL 4th place: Adv3 - 157.8 db, Kaos2 - 150s db, Xtreme4 - 140s db
2010 ARSPL 1st place 501-750 - 160.3 db Arkansas loudest

Best score to date 164.4 db - Termlab Outlaw

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db

MWSPL on Dash Legal door open (Music) - 162.5 db

Sealed on dash Legal (Music) - 161.1 db - Termlab

THE BLACK NASTY CURRENT BUILD & FAB

The Black Nasty (6) 15 Rebuild Log 2012

(4) 15 Walled Sierra Build Log

Evo X build log

Facebook page The Black Nasty

16163044_large.gif

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't see how a triple joint is any better after a break in then fresh out of the box. It's not like the glue has to dry over the next 2 weeks. Nor does the spider have some built in memory you have to train to retain its shape. Breaking the triple joint is more to do with the box it's in, not how it was built.

Sub companies want you to break in a sub for one reason. Buffer from a customer doing something stupid out of the box. Plain and simple. When people buy a new sub, chances are they have never dealt with that product before. So the likeliness you actually know its limitations out of the box is slim to none. If a sub manufacture asks you to break in a sub, it's because they want you to learn the limits of the product over the course of time, not to drop it in a box and throw the hammer down on it.

People need to learn their products in the system as a whole and what the limits are, not believe that the product will somehow magically get stronger if you be nice with it at the start. It's a sub, you don't need to take it out to dinner and a movie first. take it no tell motel and give it a good pounding. Just don't expect to stick it in the pole piece if it wasn't designed to take it ;)

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

I really don't see how a triple joint is any better after a break in then fresh out of the box. It's not like the glue has to dry over the next 2 weeks. Nor does the spider have some built in memory you have to train to retain its shape. Breaking the triple joint is more to do with the box it's in, not how it was built.

Sub companies want you to break in a sub for one reason. Buffer from a customer doing something stupid out of the box. Plain and simple. When people buy a new sub, chances are they have never dealt with that product before. So the likeliness you actually know its limitations out of the box is slim to none. If a sub manufacture asks you to break in a sub, it's because they want you to learn the limits of the product over the course of time, not to drop it in a box and throw the hammer down on it.

People need to learn their products in the system as a whole and what the limits are, not believe that the product will somehow magically get stronger if you be nice with it at the start. It's a sub, you don't need to take it out to dinner and a movie first. take it no tell motel and give it a good pounding. Just don't expect to stick it in the pole piece if it wasn't designed to take it ;)

The suspension is super stiff, the triple joint it the weak point so it breaks there if to much excursion is going on, now if it is looser, the suspension there is more give at the triple joint.

Edited by AMI CUSTOMS

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db

Evo X build log

16163044_large.gif

The suspension is super stiff, the triple joint it the weak point so it breaks there if to much excursion is going on, now if it is looser, the suspension there is more give at the triple joint.

Ok, so whats the context?

Is it a bad design of product, or bad box design? One of these 2 can be controlled by the purchaser. Excursion is easily changed in the box design.

I do understand in YOUR application, having a loose sub helped its longevity. HOWEVER, it's not always the case.

Case n point: DC98HOE system was at its loudest just as the subs became loose. Which was about a day before they would blow. Out of the box play hard nor breaking them in @20z tone did anything to change this. The sooner he got to the loose part, the sooner he was ordering recones. Does this mean the sub was to blame? Nope, it has and will always have to do with box design.

People, not product dictate the ends results in equipment

Edited by kingsuv

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

IMO it is a design error that has been with AQ since the beginning, and is still a problem. But with adjustments to enclosure you can help save the woofer longer like you mentioned. All mine that had triple joint failures the glue held it was the paper on the former ripped at the joint causing a complete failure at that point.

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db

Evo X build log

16163044_large.gif

So you shouldn't break in subs unless they are Audioque subs?

EDIT:

I have to disagree with you here. I think sub companies ask you to break them in so they have another cop out if you get a defective product: "You didn't break it in, buy a recone kit from us and break it in this time." But then again, I'm a cynical bastard.

Edited by 8ight

I'm gonna hate

I will add too ami customs and say that, if you've never messed with aq or dd then chill. They are way different the normal subs. I've ran 5k daily on my pair for months now and they are still retarded stiff.

1999 GMC Yukon, 6 PSI platform 5 18's, 4th order bandpass by BHE, Taramps,

• 1 month later...

No mean to thread jack but how can there be a bad box design? I never realized that there were different box designs. I figured that there were different volumes and tunings and that was it. Just snooping around the forums for the best bang for a 1200 rms @2ohm with 4-4.5ish cubes. Dunno which brand to go with or size subs. (2x12 or 1x15) Was planning on using RE's box calc. Is that this "bad design" that Kingsuv talks about?

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

No mean to thread jack but how can there be a bad box design? I never realized that there were different box designs. I figured that there were different volumes and tunings and that was it. Just snooping around the forums for the best bang for a 1200 rms @2ohm with 4-4.5ish cubes. Dunno which brand to go with or size subs. (2x12 or 1x15) Was planning on using RE's box calc. Is that this "bad design" that Kingsuv talks about?

That is what he is referring to exactly, wrong tuning and wrong volume, wrong port area, making for a bad design.