Second Skin Audio

audio que hdc312 break in

No mean to thread jack but how can there be a bad box design? I never realized that there were different box designs. I figured that there were different volumes and tunings and that was it. Just snooping around the forums for the best bang for a 1200 rms @2ohm with 4-4.5ish cubes. Dunno which brand to go with or size subs. (2x12 or 1x15) Was planning on using RE's box calc. Is that this "bad design" that Kingsuv talks about?

my bad

reading > me

But still the re box calculator has some problems, use torres.

Edited by DjCrush

And the fact more than one person agrees does not make it a circle jerk, it makes it a bukkake scene and you're in the middle ;)

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth..

B5 Passat Build Log

postedimagel.png

A sub will break in, and if a sub has a spider setup that is stiffer than the triple joint can handle, then easing into it might not be a bad idea, but it should not be something that takes hours. . .

I personally always got my best scores with fresh subs and Mayhems are super stiff. Never damaged one, so maybe they have a better triple joint.

The thing that drives me nuts is someone who plays the sub at low volume for hours and then rips on it. It is not breaking in if it is not moving. It is not like an engine as people keep referencing. I am not here to argue engine break in, but an engine is different - if you take it easy on an engine for break in, the moving parts are still moving through their normal compete range of motion during that time. If you take is easy on a sub, it is not breaking in. It will remain stiff until you rip on it, so the time you spent playing it low was wasted.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

No mean to thread jack but how can there be a bad box design? I never realized that there were different box designs. I figured that there were different volumes and tunings and that was it. Just snooping around the forums for the best bang for a 1200 rms @2ohm with 4-4.5ish cubes. Dunno which brand to go with or size subs. (2x12 or 1x15) Was planning on using RE's box calc. Is that this "bad design" that Kingsuv talks about?

my bad

reading > me

But still the re box calculator has some problems, use torres.

Im still a little flusterd on what a bad box design is. Its just a box with a square hole and a board off that hole right? (simplest explaination there I can think of) Or can there be too much volume?

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

Im still a little flusterd on what a bad box design is. Its just a box with a square hole and a board off that hole right? (simplest explaination there I can think of) Or can there be too much volume?

LMAO hell no. A box with a square hole is leaky as fuck.

Now a box with a PORT, (a port and a hole are NOT the same thing) has to be calculated to work correctly.

Port area (the surface area of the port opening) and port length (the length of the "tunnel" you could say) make a port what it is.

If you don't have enough port area the box will choke your sub and be inefficient.

Too much port area and the box won't have much control over the sub and (once again) it will be inefficient.

If you don't have the ports in the right PLACE (for example, if it's too close to the sub) then it won't work right either.

Enclosure size mostly has to do with mechanical power handling vs efficiency.

A bigger box will be louder, but the sub will move more. If it's WAY too big, the sub won't be able to pressurize all the space and it won't be loud at all.

A smaller box will be quieter but it will better control the sub's movement. Too small a box and the sub will be choked and not be very loud.

Everything is a compromise. You balance and calculate until the box fits your needs.

EDIT: Hmmm...that was a lot shorter than it looked on my phone lol

Edited by aN-i-No

LMAO hell no. A box with a square hole is leaky as fuck.

Now a box with a PORT, (a port and a hole are NOT the same thing) has to be calculated to work correctly.

Port area (the surface area of the port opening) and port length (the length of the "tunnel" you could say) make a port what it is.

If you don't have enough port area the box will choke your sub and be inefficient.

Too much port area and the box won't have much control over the sub and (once again) it will be inefficient.

If you don't have the ports in the right PLACE (for example, if it's too close to the sub) then it won't work right either.

Enclosure size mostly has to do with mechanical power handling vs efficiency.

A bigger box will be louder, but the sub will move more. If it's WAY too big, the sub won't be able to pressurize all the space and it won't be loud at all.

A smaller box will be quieter but it will better control the sub's movement. Too small a box and the sub will be choked and not be very loud.

Everything is a compromise. You balance and calculate until the box fits your needs.

EDIT: Hmmm...that was a lot shorter than it looked on my phone lol

I was not thinking at all when I posted that. derp. anyways thanks for that info. So a bad box could be any box that is oversized for the sub or if the port is too close to the sub. ok, well what would be considered too close to the sub? Or is that just dependent on the size of the sub? In my future build I am trying to figure out if 2 12's or 1 15 would suite me best. 15 being the hdc3 and the 2 12s being sdc2.5.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.