Sonic Electronix

So I'm looking to put car speakers in my home theater setup, for curiosity and something to do. I'm specifically looking at 6.5 components, audioque/pioneer/focal/jl audio. My question is how big of an enclosure should I make for the midranges? And would ported be worth the effort? I've never done this before so I would like to get this right the first time...

Thanks

as for car speakers for a home stereo, car speakers are 4 ohms, home speakers are 8 ohms. I would make a tower type enclosures with two speakers in each and connect them together in series unless your running a crossover capacitor on your single driver (which you probably should for a midrange frequency 500hz and up , your not talking mid bass 90hz and up are you?) . If not, 4 ohms might overheat your amplifier.

As for box size you can make it pretty small for midrange? They do sell midrange speakers with sealed backs,so depending on your crossover hz is? If you want more mid bass, then build a larger box with some polyfill.

there are a lot of websites for enclosure building out there

Edited by the moose

1974 VW Beetle

2- JL Audio 10w08 subs in ported fiberglass enclosure

Hifonics ZRXLP 6.5C (fronts)

Hifonics HRC 5.2C (rears)

500w Crunch powerzone amp (subs)

600w Crunch powerone amp (components)

3 farad power acoustics cap.

head unit- Planet Audio P385UA

Boss eq 1208

Most car audio components are designed to work in infinite baffle setups, if you model most of those speakers you will get very large boxes suggested by the software but I guess a large box with a net internal volume of an average car door is about right for them at most. Many people have claimed satisfactory results with boxes smaller than that.

I wouldn't buy car audio speakers just to use in your home audio. You can get better pricing and sound using home audio speakers. Check out Parts Express, they have a lot DIY stuff there to get you started.

http://www.parts-express.com/

Ya I'm familiar with that site. I was mainly looking for a set of speakers so I could build my own enclosures and just make something to my liking. I'll take a look at the site to see if they have home speakers that I'm looking for. Thanks

as for car speakers for a home stereo, car speakers are 4 ohms, home speakers are 8 ohms. I would make a tower type enclosures with two speakers in each and connect them together in series unless your running a crossover capacitor on your single driver (which you probably should for a midrange frequency 500hz and up , your not talking mid bass 90hz and up are you?) . If not, 4 ohms might overheat your amplifier.

As for box size you can make it pretty small for midrange? They do sell midrange speakers with sealed backs,so depending on your crossover hz is? If you want more mid bass, then build a larger box with some polyfill.

there are a lot of websites for enclosure building out there

Ya I was looking at a component set so maybe I'll get lucky and each driver for each set is 4 ohms. Thanks

Most car audio components are designed to work in infinite baffle setups, if you model most of those speakers you will get very large boxes suggested by the software but I guess a large box with a net internal volume of an average car door is about right for them at most. Many people have claimed satisfactory results with boxes smaller than that.

What would consider to be a small or large enclosure? .25(small) to .5(large) cu ft?