Hey guys! I've been watching this site and reading y'all's posts for a couple years and I've finally come up with enough money, time, and knowledge to dive headfirst into my first real car audio install. Now, this "real" install may not seem like a whole lot, but given my shoestring college budget and limited funding it's pretty big for me haha. But anyway, enough chit chat, let's get right down to it: I have been planning this build for about 6 months, when I received the plans for the enclosure (early December), but I didn't have the equipment, funding, or time to do it. I FINALLY got down to business and built and installed it over the last couple days. It took about three days and ~50hrs total with a couple of my friends helping to get it all finished.

The good stuff:

06.png

01-nodimensions.png

The enclosure is a 6th order series tuned bandpass, designed for one 2007 model Rockford Fosgate P3D215 500 watt sub. The amp powering it is a Rockford Fosgate P700-1BD. The enclosure is designed for audible performance over a 25-45hz passband, with a bias towards the lower end of that (27-36hz). I gave him the majority of the back end of my jeep, up to seat level, for gross available enclosure volume and he used basically all of it. The internal volume is around 13 cubic feet!

Before I had Pete design the enclosure, I sent the sub to him to extract accurate T/S parameters:

IMAG0092.jpg

Needless to say, many of the parameters vary substantially from the OEM specs.

Theoretical frequency response and impedance profile at the driver's side headrest.

PerformanceData.png

More to come tomorrow!

looking forward to it

My current 95 Jetta Build w/

pioneer h/u

2 RD Sonance 10's with flatwind coils

2 Audiopipe apsm 1500.1s

1 Hifonics Brutus Elite 60x4

1 XS d925

1 Stinger spv35

1 1000 amp lead acid

50 ft of 0/1 ofc from Audiotechnix

all powerbass components, and coaxils, 4 sets

buildlog = http://www.stevemead...2-rd-10s-build/

My build for my wife. http://www.stevemead...01-f-150-build/

Alright guys, here's more pics:

IMAG0135.jpg

Had to move the table saw outside, 4x8 sheets of mdf are big! The lack of a sufficiently long fence on this portable table saw lead to some somewhat questionable cuts, but I was able to clean most of them up. Everything ended up being within about an 1/8"...not too shabby for what I had to work with!

IMAG0136.jpg

Doing the cross cuts on an OLD radial arm saw my dad got for free some time back. It can make a 17 inch or so cut, so on each cross cut we had to flip the board over to finish it.

IMAG0141.jpg

IMAG0140.jpg

Wood is cut FINALLY. Took 8hrs with breaks from the time we started strategizing how to cut 4x8 mdf sheets on our limited equipment to time of completion. (Thanks for the help guys!!)

IMAG0142.jpg

Drafted the designs on the bottom piece to help with baffle location. HELPFUL TIP: MEASURE TWICE. The double stack baffle was 3/4" off because I measured from the end of the board instead of the edge of the 3/4" mdf front face. I didn't realize it until I had drilled, glued, and screwed the double stack baffle to the bottom face. Had to back all the screws out, fill the holes, redrill, reglue, and rescrew the baffle. D'OH!!

IMAG0138.jpg

IMAG0137.jpg

The goods! and part of my big 3. (That Sundown E15 is part of a new project I've been planning for the fall, more on that later!)

IMAG0139.jpg

Running the RCA wires. Battery to amp will come up through here as well, next to the factory rear speaker wire body pass-thru grommet. I had to run that amp power cable along the chassis, nowhere to hide oversized 1/0 in the cabin!

IMAG0157.jpg

My redneck fuse install for the moment until I get the fullsize ANL fuse in the mail. Also, top view of the Big 3 (minus the alternator positive to battery positive, forgot to do that one until today).

IMAG0134.jpg

Fully soldered and shrink wrapped ring terminals. Should last a long time!

IMAG0159.jpg

Amp temporarily here until i get the firewall bushings.

IMAG0143.jpg

IMAG0145.jpg

IMAG0148.jpg

Box coming together. The pictures do not do it justice. I am 5' 9" and a fairly muscly 190lbs, and without the internal baffling I could get in that box and close it up with room to spare inside. It's HUGE.

IMAG0149.jpg

IMAG0150.jpg

I wanted to make the top removable so I could take the sub out when I sold it and put in the E15 temporarily before I upgrade the whole system. I had some of this insulation stuff that I used to ship the p3 sub to pwk to test so I figured I could try it out and see if it would work to seal the top panel. I used these wide/super thin head trim nails my dad had laying around and I think the whole idea worked pretty well. I haven't felt any leaks around the perimeter of the box, not sure about the inside, but if the outside sealed, I'll bet the internal baffling did as well.

IMAG0153.jpg

IMAG0154.jpg

IMAG0155.jpg

Wired the sub down to 1 ohm (dual 2 ohm VC's in parallel) with the Knuconceptz Karma SS 10 gauge wire and ran it through the two baffles with holes cut by a spade bit. Caulked the crap out of the pass-thru's.

IMAG0152.jpg

Since I bought 10 gauge wire, and my sub only accepts up to 10 gauge wire on the voicecoil inputs, I couldn't just twist wire together and stick both in to one voice coil to run another pair to the other voice coil to get a parallel hook up. I had the bright idea to solder them together! Problem is, I didn't even think about the fact that the solder wicks up the wire, so these wires ended up solid all the way to the tip. I had to reheat and hammer them a bunch, then file them down just to get them to fit into the push terminals. Oh well, it is actually easier to put them into the push terminals now compared to the bare wire..

IMAG0156.jpg

I drafted the enclosure design on the top plate as well and marked the places where I put nails in to hold the pink sealing stuff on so I wouldn't hit any of them when pre-drilling the screw holes.

IMAG0158.jpg

And here she is!!! BEAST MODE. Weighs 200lbs+, ~13+/- cubic feet internal volume.

IMAG0160.jpg

MOUTH OF THE BEAST

IMAG0161.jpg

IMAG0162.jpg

Some more pics.

Next post will be a vid or two of the system!

Well, apparently youtube craps itself when you try to upload .mp4 videos created with an HTC rezound? I'll see if I can convert it or something and upload it tomorrow unless anyone has any insight? This is my first time uploading vids to youtube

Edited by rocketman123