smd-dd1 shows clipping with music?

Ok probably a dumb question but ima ask neway i set my gains on the hu, fr amp, and sub amp with the disc as im supposed to and all is good. and for shits and giggles i played music and tested my amps with the dd1 and get a solid distort light light on my full range amp and a flashing on the subwoofer amp. Is this normal??? everything sounds fine just dont want too damage my equipment...

Question 2, I have a Kenwood kdc-hd548u and it has a sub level -15-+15 adj as of now I have it set at 0 but after researching some say crank it up then set gains and some say keep it flat then set gains. so idk wich is better level high gain low or level flat and gain high????THANKZ

1991 chevy caprice classic

Big three upgrade

2 car batterys for now

Kenwood kdc-hd548u

Soundstream RBC.6 front

Soundstream PCT693 rear

Jensen a400hlx

PlanetAudio BB2400.1

Fi BTL N2 18 fully loaded "daily"

Its only supposed to check for distortion at 40 and 1k hz.

On my Alpine CDA-117, when the sub output is set to +15; which means that the hu is outputting all of the output. Nothing is boosted on Alpine HUs. I would wait for someone else to chime in. I dont know much about Kenwoods.

Edited by hdorre
On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

Also did an alpine setup with the sub level all the way up and an eq that was preamping the rcas like at 7v or something (clarioneqs746).

The amp when i went to set the gains sounded best with the gain at zero. This was a little weird since the sub was pounding hard and the amp was at 0 which probably meant that the amp was already reaching its potential with gain at 0!

Got me thinking, what if i lowered the alpines sub level to 10 and then raised the gain on the amp, would that have made a difference in sound? Will test this but as of now its pounding well.

1st Setup(SOLD):2007 GMC YukonPioneer Avic F90bt

Audiocontrol Epicenter2 Audioque SDC2.5 15 subs8.7 cubes at 37hz build DONEAudioque 1200d (Audioque 1200d Sold, similar performance to my ap1500)Diamond Audio Hex 6.5 Mids n TweetsCerwin Vega Exl 400 4 channel Bridged(also have MTX 4004 not being used)1 Run of power Knu Fleks 4 Gauge2 Cheap stock Battery setup2nd Setup (SOLD):2007 GMC YukonPioneer Avic F90bt

Audiocontrol Epicenter2 15 Kicker cvx (maybe two SA 15 in future)7 cubes net tuned at 34hzAlphasonik Old school 1600rms (ap 1500d sold GREAT Budget amp)JBL 6.5 Power Series Components, Infinity Kappa 6.5 3 ways, and 2 Kicker KS Tweets (LOUD)Cerwin vega exl4001 run knu Fleks OFC 0 gaugeBig 3 done1 Odyssey 1500, 1 optima yellow top d31

On, my clarion, and yes, its a clarion but not a kenwood. But it goes -7 to +7, if you don't set it to "Subwoofer" in the menu, it will muddy up the bass at +7. If i put it on "subwoofer" in the menu then it goes to +7 fine. I have also noticed that if i set it to +7 then switch back and forth from "subwoofer" to "through" it changes volume levels. Just some food for thought.

well that makes me feel a bit better on the distortion wit music part.. I guess maybe I will try it both ways with the sub level on the hu and see if i can hear a difference but will have to wait for my sub to get here.

1991 chevy caprice classic

Big three upgrade

2 car batterys for now

Kenwood kdc-hd548u

Soundstream RBC.6 front

Soundstream PCT693 rear

Jensen a400hlx

PlanetAudio BB2400.1

Fi BTL N2 18 fully loaded "daily"

On kenwood units such as the unit I run (kvt617dvd), the signal light will not come on Unless my subwoofer output is set to +15. If ur signal light is coming on then there is no need to test with your subwoofer at +15. Remember ur gain is not a volume button.. its only used to match the signals to the hu. If u are getting signal at sub 0 thenleave everythi g flat on eq and use that.

:ninja:

Edited by sensai_v3.6

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having problems with my dd1 and i have a kenwood head unit i couldn't get the signal light to come on whatsoever i tried numerous things but you're saying you only got yours to show a signal if you turned the sub level to +15? my only concern about doing that is would i be maybe overpowering my sub? but would the gain level just compensate for the high sub level of the head unit?