Second Skin Audio

Box for Tahoe and 4 Obsidian 15's

Hey whats up everyone? I am looking at upgrading my 2 12" Q Power Deluxe's to 4 15 Deluxe's. I got 2 12" Q Power Deluxe series subs and I am pushing 2500rms to them, While they are surprisingly taking the power like champs I am looking to upgrade to 4 15" Q Power Deluxe's. Only problem is the Deluxe's only come in D4 subs. I wouldn't be able to run 4 D4's at 1 ohm. I need 4 D2's. So as much as I want to stay with Q Power look like I am going to have change brands so I can get 4 D2's to run at 1ohm.

So I wanted to stay with Q Power because I want a system that the everyday person can afford but still compete and carry home a trophy with. I will be competing in the SPL lanes also so this is really an SPL build for my Tahoe. I will be running aero ports on the box instead of the traditional wooden slot port. I want something different and hopefully a little better performing. I will post pics of some boxes I came up with in torres. I will post the Aero Port box and the Slot Port box below.

I will adding another Soundstream rub2500.1D to the one I got so I can strap them and run 5k. Also will be adding 2 more batts just so the electrical wont struggle. I will build the box and add the subs before I up my power and electrical.

First off does anyone have any D2 15" subs that are around $100-$115? I am looking for something that can handle 1250w rms daily for when I run 5K to them. The 2 12" Q Power's I got now are rated at 700rms but 1500 peak and are taking the 2500w really well. All the subs I have been pricing are $200+. Looking to stay under 500 for all 4 15's.

For SPL wouldn't 4 15's post higher scores than 2 18's? if not please correct me so I wont be wasting money on a system that wont post anything near 145 in the lanes. To reach a 145 if I really HAVE to save more and spend more on subs then just let me know. The goal is a 145 @ 35-40hz.

Tuning: I am thinking around 30-32hz and have the box around 15.5ft*3.

Aero Port:

boxspecs.jpg

Slot Port:

box2specs.jpg

Thanks for any opinions or any help

-James

Edited by 252chevyboyz

- 1997 Chevy Tahoe- Big 3 (1/0)- Dual Autocraft Batts- JVC KD-A315 HU- AQ 2200.1D- 18" AQ HDC3- Box w/ Removable Port (6ft^3 @ 36hz & 6.7ft^3 @ 42hz)- 39' 1/0 & 13' 2/0 Flex-A-Prene

My Selling Feedback

Build Log

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

with out box info, and sub placment, im just throwing this up

when you compete

415-1.png

then cover some ports for daily

4151.png

with that style box youll also be able to cover just 1 or 2 ports and get 33.x hz and 36.x hz

so youll have more options with tunning

Edited by john253a

I appreciate the fast reply and the opinions on the box. Opinions always help out when it comes to a box because someone else may have a better design than myself. I got a few questions though. For the wood its 1.5" thickness? Wouldn't I be using .75" MDF and then do a double baffle on top? Also what do you use to plug your ports? I would like to get something that is air tight if I am going to have anything over 3 ports on the box. It would be nice to have that amount of customization in the tuning part of it but 3-4 ports might be what I am trying to go for instead of 5+. I haven't had too much experience with aero ports.

Is this box too big for 4 15's? I dont want to make the subs feel like they are playing in free air

-James

- 1997 Chevy Tahoe- Big 3 (1/0)- Dual Autocraft Batts- JVC KD-A315 HU- AQ 2200.1D- 18" AQ HDC3- Box w/ Removable Port (6ft^3 @ 36hz & 6.7ft^3 @ 42hz)- 39' 1/0 & 13' 2/0 Flex-A-Prene

My Selling Feedback

Build Log

2.5-3.5net each sub is what I would want so 10-14net for 4

For a box that size you'll want 1.5" all round so 2x 0.75" all over, and maybe even an extra .75 on the sub surface

With aero ports you'll need 9-13sq" per for for daily and more for spl

Slot port is 12-16sq" per ft and more for spl

You can either use a removeable port and go slot or aero and cover them

If you don't want to use 6" you can use 8" and use less of them

Ok I got the baffle and wood thickness on 1.5" and I got 4 6" aero's @ 10" long. With 4 open its 34.74hz then 3 open its 30.89hz, and 2 open its 26.13hz. The box comes out to 13.77ft^3 for net volume. Would the box really flex that much with just one .75" on the sides and bottom and 1.5" on the surface? I am planning to glass the inside and brace it with threaded steel rods instead of wooden dowels.

I really appreciate the help man. What is you opinion on running 4 Obsidian Audio 18's with these same max dimensions? The 18's are only $189 but are only 600rms so I would have to run 4 of these on 2500w rms? or would 2 handle 2500w without frying a coil? 4 15" obsidians are also in the realm of things only being $158 each. I originally was looking at 2 of these 18's but didnt think they could handle the power so I ruled them out but what do you think about 2500w on 2 of these?

Here is how I tweaked the box for 4 15's:

Box3.jpg

My Selling Feedback

Build Log

For this upcoming build what do y'all think of these options and which one would work best for an SPL application? I would have to pre-order the 18's so they would take a little longer but I looks like I'll be getting Obsidian equipment since I can run them at 1 ohm with either a 2 or 4 sub set up. I should have the funds to start ordering subs shortly also. Once I get this box designed and start ordering subs I will start a build log.

Choices for the build: (keep in mind I am running a Soundstream rub2500.1D and would like to run 2 strapped or maybe move up to a 3500w amp)

(2) D4 Obsidian 15"

(4) D2 Obsidian 15"

(2) D4 Obsidian 18"

Thanks for any input y'all

-James

My Selling Feedback

Build Log

for spl youll need 7x 6" aero

with 4x 6" your on the border of bare minimum and i mean bare, i dont normally go under 10sq"per ft with areo,

as for 18" youll only be able to fit 2 as apposed to 4x15, and in spl cone is king,

also if you using psp the max length of their ports is 17" 18 overall

edit

4x15 is my 2c

Edited by john253a

Ok you've got me on 7 6" aeros. If I stepped up to 8" what are we talkin? I'm trying to go with a box that is going to come out clean looking when I'm done building it. Also 4 OA 15's on 2.5k looks like my decision for the build. Would love to run 5K on them but don't think they could handle it. Any Obsidian Audio reps here that could tell me for sure?

So for sure ill need 1.5" on the sides and bottom even with bracing and glassing? I don't want cheap out on anything but I am just making sure. Also once the box is deisgned ill start picking up supplies for the build and I should be able to start ordering subs within a week-week and a half

-James

My Selling Feedback

Build Log

What would the removable slot port be looking like in torre's? I really don't have any idea on removable slot ports since I have never had any experience with them. A sketch of the removable slot port may help me build a box like this though.

What would you tune it to for SPL? And what are your ideas for daily tuning? I may keep the SPL tuning for the daily also if its not too low. I listen to mainly rap and dubstep. Lots of lows with highs every now and then.

It would have been nice to aero's but if a slot port will perform better than a limted aero port box then ill go with slot port. All the help is appreciated. I couldn't accomplish all the designing by myself

-James

My Selling Feedback

Build Log