I swore there was a section on lighting but maybe I'm wrong...anyways, about 2 years ago I ordered a set of 55w 12000k HID low beams from DDM tuning and I love them, and haven't had any problems...except one, THEY'RE EXTREMELY HOT. Like you could cook an egg on one! They're the Raptor Ballasts btw. And today I actually mounted them (took me 2 years) with the provided mounting equipment. Before they were just tucked away and one was wrapped in fabric more/less. (I stuck it in the battery cover...) They're now mounted in the open (still safe from everything) but now they can get a lot more air around them, however they're still really hot. In Volkswagen's whenever you disengage your E-Brake your lights go on at 66% (about) so they're always on, and because of the ballasts they're pretty much on 100% all the time. I don't really mind them being on all the time, even at 100%, but they're just so hot that I was wondering if that's normal and if I can cool them anyway....Thanks!!

PS Sorry about the long story..lol

2012 Jeep Wrangler 3.6 W/ 6 Speed

Build Log

2011 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor 6.2

Build Log

YouTube

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few problems here-

1: feeding the ballasts a reduced voltage =mucho bad.

2: 12000k hids are for ricers and people who dont actually care about seeing. Which are you?

3: are your bulbs properly retrofitted, or just carelessly clicked into the stock case?

I'd suggest cooling fans if you have the ability, but seeing as it's under the hood I doub that's an easy solution for you.

I wonder how hot the ballasts in my dad's mustang get, i think i'll check later tonight, maybe take it for a spin...

1997 Ford Ranger

2 - Rockford Fosgate P3 600w 12s

1 - Soundstream Rubicon 1.1000d

Pioneer Mids/highs

Blacked out tail lights (removable, done with 20% static cling tint)

Correct Voltage

I felt like 12000k. My mom has 3000k in her 495rwhp Mustang. Does that make me her a fag?

If they arent properly retrofitted, then yes, yes it does.

And no, if your lights come on at 66% its reducing voltage.

Now that we have established you DONT care about actually seeing anything, im out.

People here seem to be a little hate filled when it comes to other people doing what they want with their own cars...

People make show cars that aren't even street legal, that's just the same as having lights that you can't see with, you have a car you can't drive, why not give them shit?

1997 Ford Ranger

2 - Rockford Fosgate P3 600w 12s

1 - Soundstream Rubicon 1.1000d

Pioneer Mids/highs

Blacked out tail lights (removable, done with 20% static cling tint)

Who cares that moms got a mustang... I hate when ppl repeat exact hp of cars. What car is this going into? Did you use the wiring harness provided ? Bad ground ? Poor voltage. Turn lights on normal and see if they get hot. How fast do they get hot ?

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee LaredoPioneer AVH- 3200DVD2/0 Flex-A-Prene Welding Cable

(2) Fully Loaded Fi Sp4's dual 1-------> My YouTube Channel <-------

Needs more power those woofers will laugh at that turd

People make show cars that aren't even street legal, that's just the same as having lights that you can't see with, you have a car you can't drive, why not give them shit?

Oh, I dunno, maybe because THEY DONT DRIVE THEM ON THE STREET.

Archived