maximum amount of port area?

its not about being friends. Its about the spreading of inaccurate information. There are a lot of people who are looked up to that really don't know their ports from their own ass. I find that to be inexcusable in this day and age so I make sure to correct it every chance I get.

I hear ya bro ! :fing34:

I thought port area was kind of like exhaust, If your port area is too small it's like a manifold with a cheap muffler, restrictive and noisy. Where if it's the right size for the volume of air it's like a header with a good muffler and tuned to the volume of air and designed to sound a specific way. Then of course you have port flares which i'm guessing creates a low pressure spot at the end of the port helping with air flow(That's my best guess why they seem to help). But it's all theory until you throw it in a vehicle and see how it performs.

Don't forget the kerfs!

edit

Spelling "are"="area" derp

I may be off, but a port is not like a muffler. Sizing a exhaust is a balance between restriction and actually using the velocity of the air to help pull the air through the exhaust, since each header tube is not a true continuous flow. Although, much past the header, and open no restriction is better. If it wasn't, high horsepower drag cars would be running full exhaust systems. Exhaust is also about getting air from one end to the other.

A port is a Helmholtz resonator. Google can give you a lot of info.

Once again, ports should be sized by airspeed which comes from cone area, Xmax, and frequency, not box size. The box size affects the tuning frequency due to the change in pressure at the inside opening of the port.

Using box size is a gross estimate that is close, but not exact and not the proper way to calculate the real required area.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

• 2 weeks later...

and you tell me those subs are going to be louder with only 1 6" aeroport

1:50

360sqin of port area? I think he means port displacement.

I believe it's 84.74sqin of port

Archived