(solved) Improving the performance of a virtual machine?

he said without new hardware. I dont think the speed of the drive is the issue. Its more of a config issue.

obviously missed the very last part of his post. I would try ccleaner and get rid of everything except the essentials. You're 60gb hdd is quite small win7 is 30gb iirc plus programs which doesn't leave you with much. Personally I'd grab a new ssd they are extremely cheap now I think a 126gb can be had for under $100

Scion tC SQ Build
iPad mini, lots of fabrication, daily driven
Ford Explorer C Pillar Wall Build

Just a cheap car to destroy with bass :D

such as one of these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227726

this is a decent ssd, the higher end line is the vertex they came out with the vertex 4 recently but that is more expensive

Scion tC SQ Build

he said without new hardware. I dont think the speed of the drive is the issue. Its more of a config issue.

obviously missed the very last part of his post. I would try ccleaner and get rid of everything except the essentials. You're 60gb hdd is quite small win7 is 30gb iirc plus programs which doesn't leave you with much. Personally I'd grab a new ssd they are extremely cheap now I think a 126gb can be had for under $100

Pretty sure he said he has 60gb devoted to it, not just a 60gb hdd.

i shook this one kids hand and it just folded in mine. long story short i fucked his girlfriendso.. yeah..

You want this to happen to you? Give decent handshakes people.

I was gifted with an innate ability to distribute wholesale ass beatings in a timely and orderly fashion.

Pretty sure he said he has 60gb devoted to it, not just a 60gb hdd.

60gb is 60gb lol

Scion tC SQ Build

60 gb is fine. we build 2008 servers with anywhere from a 40 to 100 gb OS drive.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Ok, if you are running more than one VM at once, and you have a VM with 2 cores, and a vm with 4 cores, the 4 core will actually be slower. In fact, since your CPU is ONLY 4 cores, drop the VM to 2 cores.

Basically, a 4 core VCPU will only get cpu time under conditions where all cores are free and not processing other commands, otherwise they get into the processor queue. If you set it to 2 cores, you only need 2/4 cores to be free to process commands in the vcpu.

As you are running the vmcore as a shell in windows, you are basically crippling your VM by making it wait for 4 cores to be free.

Just for the record, I have taken the VCP training for ESXi 4. I'd have the cert but the workplace decided not to pay for that, probably because it makes us more marketable elsewhere.

if youve been through the training and feel you can pass take the test. you are only hurting your pocket by not.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

how many cores does your laptop have to start with? You may be overcommiited? Do you have vmware tools installed and hardware acceleration enabled.

Good point. It's a quad core. I tried dropping it to 2. It didn't seem to make a huge difference.

are you using vmware workstation 8 with the latest update ( 8.0.4 ? )

:ninja:

Yessir 8.0.4 build-744019

Dont forget to enable CPU Virtualization in the bios.

Also as someone mentioned, Windows 8 is heavily reliant on GPU. Most VM's dont hardware accelerate video unless you tell it to.

I'll try that and post back

Unless you're dev'ing apps for Win8?

Yup ;)

Thanks everyone for the replies and help!