Second Skin Audio

help with Mustang box build ( 2 sundown sa-10s)

Just got my 2 Sundown SA-10 D4's in and am trying to figure an aero-ported box design tuned to 33-35hz for a 96' Mustang GT. Available trunk dimensions are 33"w, 20"d and 15"h. Jacob (from Sundown) recommended 1 cu. ft. per chamber but I'm hearing a lot of others having great results with larger enclosures, which leaves me wondering which is best? Also I am unsure if my type of car will affect the tuning of the box therefore leaving me having to tune higher/lower to achieve a true 33-35hz tone? They're going to be powered by a DB Drive 1800 @ 1ohm. It's a daily install hoping to reach a balance of spl and sq. I listen to mostly rock/metal with a little bit of dubstep, rave and rap (if that matters). If your reading this and have box building knowledge, please help me figure this out. I've played around with numbers but can't seem to get it right. Thanks in advance!!!

Here is a suggestion:

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 33.5 Hz

Vb = 2.2 ft^3

External Height = 12.5 in

External Width = 30.25 in

External Depth = 18 in

Port Width = 2 7/8 in

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.

* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

Front & Back = 30 1/4 x 12 1/2

Left & Right Sides = 16 1/2 x 11

Top & Bottom = 30 1/4 x 16 1/2

L Port Internal Assembly Parts:

Front to Back = 13 5/8 x 11

Extension = 10 7/16 x 11

Assembly guide (generic dimensions):

PFSFSingle.jpg

Let me know any changes, questions or comments.

Thanks Joe, looks like a great L-ported design!! I was hoping to have an aero-ported design, any way to incorporate an aero into that and eliminate the L? (b-knue, no it's not a hatchback, it's a coupe).

Edited by dbKilla

Thanks Joe, looks like a great L-ported design!! I was hoping to have an aero-ported design, any way to incorporate an aero into that and eliminate the L? (b-knue, no it's not a hatchback, it's a coupe).

I wouldn't be concerned about the turn when proper port area is used (keeping peak airspeed relatively low), but you can of course side port with either slot or aero.