Sonic Electronix

Is there anything that fits in a double din area?

I'm wondering if there's anything (kindle/ipad/etc) that fit in a double din spot with no cutting needed. I've seen a few builds where people have used other things besides a headunit, and I'm just wondering if there's any tight squeezes that work well?

Just did this the other day. Kindle Fire 8gb.

614429_387764317945980_80514609_o.jpg

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

I don't have a processor yet, it's just a straight signal to the amps. The head unit is entirely out of the car. I have the remote turn on for my amps wired to an ignition fuse.

The charger is to a cig lighter so it charges while the car's on. And the display is set to shut off after 15 minutes. There's a Headphone to RCA converter for the RCA cables.

Edit: Also the charger is fortunately a usb that plugs into the charging hub. So if I want to transfer music, all I have to do is get my laptop and unplug the usb from the hub and into the laptop. So I don't have to take out the entire Kindle.

Edited by Raptorman

1996 GMC Sonoma
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

Very nice!.. So thats a pretty good fit? What's holding it? or is it just nicely wedged

Well I started by cutting out a sheet of plywood the size of the compartment that the radio slid into. And I pushed it in so it was stuck in place. Then I cut a piece of that matress foam stuff, the eggcrate foam? Don't know what it's called.

But then I glued that to the wood. Then doublesided some masking tape to stick the foam and kindle together while I installed the dash plate. The foam pushes it against the dash plate and keeps it in place.

1996 GMC Sonoma
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

hmmm, I'm going to have to check that kindle out.

to the og poster, I take it you don't want to modify your existing bezel, which I understand, but I think you might be happier in the long run to hack do a little bondo/fiberglassing. Just an option.

Now that you know the kindle fits, you can start looking for any tablet with the same dimensions.

Learning Everyday.

Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD

Alpine SPS-610C

BXI-2008D

(2) SWR-1242D / Ported

found a Google Nexus 7" tab, definitely looking into that. It doesn't have a minisd slot though, but I've already found two potential work arounds that would allow you connect a portable hard drive to it, while using the mini usb for charging purposes.

Learning Everyday.

Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD

Alpine SPS-610C

BXI-2008D

(2) SWR-1242D / Ported

found a Google Nexus 7" tab, definitely looking into that. It doesn't have a minisd slot though, but I've already found two potential work arounds that would allow you connect a portable hard drive to it, while using the mini usb for charging purposes.

I think there are bluetooth devices that will let you tack on extra storage. There's an app for it, I believe. You'll have to look around, I forgot the name, but it does exist.

i'm currently happy with the 8gb's that I have. I don't listen to too many artists.

1996 GMC Sonoma
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

Honestly, don't go with anything other than an iPad in there..

iPad seems to be the only tablet that runs smooth. Every other one I've fooled around with lags.

I own a kindle fire, they're pretty sweet... But iPads are much cleaner, smoother & have a better setup overall.

Typing on the kindle is a pain in the ass.

Edited by Semper

New Setup;

H/U; Pioneer DEH-80prs.

Wiring; 2 runs of 2/0 OFC & Big 3.

Subs; 2 D1 DC Level 4s.

Monoblock; DC 3.5k.

4 Channel; JBL GTO1004.

Highs; Vifa NE25VTS-04.

Mids; Aura NS6-255-8A.

Alt; 160a.

Batts; Optima, KHC1800.