CE Auto Electric Supply

Ground to the Chassis or Run a Ground Cable? CE Auto Electric Supply Partners with D'Amore Engineering to answer - Video on Pg 5!

Here's the question:

Do I need to run the same size ground lead from my battery to the rear of the vehicle as my power lead? IE - If I run a 1/0 AWG power wire, should I also run a 1/0 AWG ground wire?

Now, I'm not going to give you the answer just yet, but Tony D', Juan, and myself put this one to the test over the weekend in Juan's 2010 Nissan Altima. We got great video of this and any of you will be able to easily replicate this in your own garage or driveway with a quality . . . well, you'll have to wait to see the video to see just how simple it is to determine the answer!

In the meantime, let's have your input. Choose one of the following:

YES

NO

Feel free to state why you think you are correct. Let's all learn something!

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

i say yes although i have no logical reasoning or supporting evidence. the way i figure it why wouldnt you

HU: Pioneer AVH x5800BHS SP Amp: AQ 120.4 Front SP: Hertz Hsk 165 Rear SP: DD cxs 6.5 SW Amp: Crescendo BC2000d SW 2 DC level 3 12" Electrical: Stock alt for now XS D2400 XS D3400 Knukonceptz Kolossus Second skin damplifier

On 8/8/2012 at 4:50 PM, Brandon15zzz said:

I heard he actually graduated college with a 4.0 gpa. Seems pretty gangster.

On 8/29/2012 at 12:25 AM, ILoveBass21 said:

he could blow a sub powering it with a potato.

sure, why not?

its only $68 in my application per wire.

i'm already snaking a 17' power wire to the back anyways, so might as well do the ground in 1/0.

can never have enough electrical.

plus its not worth the headache of explaining to people that wont know about this thread of why your running a smaller ground wire.

in the end they will think your stupid after you tell them why your running 1/0 for pos and 8ga for neg.. lol. (when i say "your" i dont mean you, as in snafu, i mean your as in the people that i'd have to explain this to.)

so in the end, although not very technical or in depth. i'd have to say:

YES... honestly why not. its only $30 difference from 4 ga to 1/0 anyways, so just spend the extra $30 and run 1/0.

its fat wire and drops peoples jaws when they see it, very fun to explain why you need 1/0 cable inside a car to people who used to run 35w amps back in the 60s.

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

4 cu ft @32 (new box and more port soon)

Firing Forward not sealed off

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

2 Runs To The Back 1 Pos 1 Neg In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

So that I am clear, I want to be sure that everyone understands exactly what I am asking. What I am asking is . . . Will the addition of such a ground cable be a benefit over using the vehicle's chassis as the return path?

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

So that I am clear, I want to be sure that everyone understands exactly what I am asking. What I am asking is . . . Will the addition of such a ground cable be a benefit over using the vehicle's chassis as the return path?

yes.

simply because MOST people dont sand the paint off or ground to the frame of the car, so grounding directly to the battery post would be much more effective for the majority of the car audio community.

im not some electricity wizard by any means.. but i do believe electricity takes the path of least resistance quite nicely, so shooting it straight through a 1/0 cable into the amp vs this bolt, that bolt, paint primer then amp.. etc.. the wire would be much better.

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

4 cu ft @32 (new box and more port soon)

Firing Forward not sealed off

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

2 Runs To The Back 1 Pos 1 Neg In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

Now what if both connections were perfect?

Still think cable can carry the current better?

Would a frame car be a closer match to the cable?

Great answers so far.

Cant wait to see the video.

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz