CE Auto Electric Supply

Ground to the Chassis or Run a Ground Cable? CE Auto Electric Supply Partners with D'Amore Engineering to answer - Video on Pg 5!

I hardly ever run ground also.

Maybe on 2-3 of the big systems ive done.

Even then it was only like 1-2 1/0's for ground reference

Actually tying to find the grounding system i like.. Ill post once i find it.

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

I think he was referring to a single run of each, I think anyway.

..............asked

Well, he ^ "Do I need to run the same size ground lead from my battery to the rear of the vehicle as my power lead? IE - If I run a 1/0 AWG power wire, should I also run a 1/0 AWG ground wire?"

So, no. Think about it. Even having one battery up front and 5 in back, One terminal wont support 5. Maybe multiple grounds from engine block to back would help, but not from battery.

edited

Edited by strangeduck
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

Well, he "Do I need to run the same size ground lead from my battery to the rear of the vehicle as my power lead? IE - If I run a 1/0 AWG power wire, should I also run a 1/0 AWG ground wire?"

So, no. Think about it. Even having one battery up front and 5 in back, One terminal wont support 5. Maybe multiple grounds from engine block to back would help, but not from battery.

Maybe I understood it wrong :) I thought he meant if a single 1/0AWG power wire is enough on the positive side, is it better to use a chassis ground or a second 1/0AWG power wire on the negative side.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Well, he "Do I need to run the same size ground lead from my battery to the rear of the vehicle as my power lead? IE - If I run a 1/0 AWG power wire, should I also run a 1/0 AWG ground wire?"

Maybe I understood it wrong :) I thought he meant if a single 1/0AWG power wire is enough on the positive side, is it better to use a chassis ground or a second 1/0AWG power wire on the negative side.

I think you understood it, i'm just using an extreme to prove a point. All I am saying is if you do it, do it from engine ground, not battery.

I have been using that kit for all my amp grounds since 2005. Bought it from Select Products back in the day. Love that kit.

2006 Chevy Cobalt SS

Headunit: Eclipse 8445 (sold)

Highs Amp: Eclipse 3620 (sold)

Sub Amp: Eclipse 3122 (sold)

Front stage: Memphis M class6.5 components (2007)

Sub: 1 Memphis M class 12" (sold)

SPL TermLab 130.7 (windshield) (selling)

Car Audio & Alarm installer for 16 years.

Pray for my daughter Katrina please!

PPi back in the 90's used to run grounds back to the battery but the rocket scientists always said the cable presented its own resistance over the length.

Then we have the others that want the same gauge, and our all about the chassis ground, however today's vehicles with the spot welds, vehicle frame/unibody dipped in corrosion protection and acid baths... also present its own problems with resistance

You also have to look at how the battery is grounded also (and alternator supply wire)

I personally like the same gauge, and grounding to the frame when I cant ground to the battery :) either way the amp turns on and produces music... hell some are even going strong for over 15 years now in the same car :)

SMD SuperSeller VerifiedJbondoXJames Shields