Second Skin Audio

Wood Glue Strength Test Video

So I've been doing quite a bit of research lately for my box that I'm building soon for my 12 Inch RF P1, and I was thinking about not using screws. Upon my research I've read quite a few articles saying that you can build a box without screws due to the chemical bond that wood glue produces and that you'd break the wood before you break the glue bond. That made me make my decision quickly upon not using screws also to the fact that a lot of articles said that screws just hold the pieces of wood together while the glue dries, and when dried, like said before should make a bond stronger than the wood itself. But before I build the box I want to put those claims to the test. How I'm going to test those theories is by cutting to pieces of scrap mdf I have lying around, glue them together like a corner of a box, clamp em together and let the glue set/dry overnight and do a series of strength tests, such as me standing on it (I'm 5'11" 220 lbs by the way) and some suggestions you guys can throw me on here. But my real question is would any of you be willing so see a strength test such as this?? Sorry for the long post, if you're still with me post your responses!

Edited by SLAYER1805

1898070_635754349830843_1457278514_n_zps

I would like to see a test like that but I don't exactly agree with the explained experiment since I think that even if it was one piece of mdf that it would snap in the same place as the piece glued together since the corner is the weakest point

just my .02, maybe you have thought of that already

I've gotten a blowjob and picked up my iphone behind her back to see what email notification I got from smd before

I think thats a load of garbage My reasoning behind it is the prefab kicker enclosure I have in the basement that I know was glued and brad nailed around the perimiter except for the board that made up the port which was just glued. According to them they use titebond. When I decided to use the box and sub I wanted to see the sound I heard when I used it last and when I poped the top off gently I was astonished to see the port wall was completely free with the exception of where it met the side of the box. the glue had seperated on the top and bottom from the year of use. I will never use just glue even if I fiberglassed inside and out I will always use screws and brads.

Wood Glue is strongest way to hold wood together, it creates a perfect seal and if applied right creates the most about of surface area for the tension of the box.

That being said, bassface made a good point that the wood around the glue will actually come apart.

and chris there was no reason for the glue to come apart unless the box was wet at one point it was never applied right to begin with.

My current 95 Jetta Build w/

pioneer h/u

2 RD Sonance 10's with flatwind coils

2 Audiopipe apsm 1500.1s

1 Hifonics Brutus Elite 60x4

1 XS d925

1 Stinger spv35

1 1000 amp lead acid

50 ft of 0/1 ofc from Audiotechnix

all powerbass components, and coaxils, 4 sets

buildlog = http://www.stevemead...2-rd-10s-build/

My build for my wife. http://www.stevemead...01-f-150-build/

I use only glue and a layer or 2 of fiberglass in the corners that will see a lot of pressure. It's always worked well for me

I might do a corner test and also do two pieces laying flat glued together, I'll probably have this vid up by the end of the week, I just thought of this since I haven't uploaded a vid in a while haha and I thought it might catch some of your interest

1898070_635754349830843_1457278514_n_zps

if you use a 2" screw and glue, you now have 2" more of wood to break then if you just went with the glue joint. My way of thinkning is to over build rather then under build. Sure, Wood glue is stronger then the wood but as stated above, only right above and below the joint. Plus I dont like to drag all the clamps out and clamp everything, wait a day and come back to finish it. I have done this test. two boards, 24"x 8" glued in a angle. One with screws and glue, one with just glue. After jumping on them sure they broke, but the one with screws broke 2" past the joint, the one with just glue broke 1/4" past joint